36: Gone

Not a very positive chapter. 😔 enjoy it still x

I have been getting so many emails lately and I'm so so happy to be able to help all of you guys! If I haven't replied to your email yet, please remind me by sending a follow up reminder as I might have forgotten!

Incase anyone else wanted to send me an email for a question or some advice, my email is..

fatimaa0997@gmail.com

- KING'S POV -

Perhaps for the last time in a long time, I made my way through the doors of the palliative care unit, passing the familiar hallways and room numbers. As I made my way past the reception desk, my red eyes caught the eyes of Madina, a 50 year old Muslim nurse who had taken care of Walter throughout his stay here.

"Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon. I'm so sorry, sweetheart." She said, her wrinkles around her face becoming more prominent as she frowned at me. I glanced up, nodding simply.

"Thank you, and thank you for everything you've done for him." I said softly.

She gave me a soft smile, her eyes filling with tears. "It was my pleasure. MashaaAllah all of you boys had one of the strongest bonds I've ever seen - bound by Islam. Never let anything break you guys' apart, okay?" 

I smiled at her and nodded. In many ways, she reminded me of Linda who we still hadn't visited since departing from my fathers house.

"InshaaAllah, Madina." I smiled slightly through my tears before giving her a final nod and walking on.

Walter's room came into view and I halted my movements, my feet planting themselves into the ground, unable to move.

The room was filled with all of the guys from the masjid. Everyone who had been here every day for the past few weeks now standing around solemnly, tears gathered in eyes and staining their cheeks, some crouched down against a wall and looking at the floor, others pacing the hallway.

I started walking again, coming to the threshold of the door. Ayman saw me and looked away quickly as his eyes filled with fresh tears. I swallowed the growing lump in my throat and walked in, seeing him.

Walter.

His eyes shut fully and his lips parted as he laid limp on the bed, not a single subtle movement.

Lifeless.

His soul was already gone, departed from this world and in the first stage of the afterlife.

I felt tears escape my eyes as I kneeled beside the bed, holding his cold hand in mine and looking at his pale face.

"He was an amazing Muslim."

I turned around, seeing Ahmad sitting on a chair against the wall, his eyes bloodshot and his cheeks glistening.

"He was." I replied, turning back to look at Walter...or what was left of him.

"Did you know that every single pain you suffer, even if it were the prick one receives from a thorn is an expiation for your sins?" He said, his voice solemn and deep, no trace of its usual enthusiasm present whatsoever.

"Yes." I replied.

He hummed, nodding his head as he now stood across me on the other side of Walter's bed. "He went through a lot of pain."

"May Allah ‎ﷻ have mercy on him and grant him firdaws al a'la." I spoke.

"Ameen, akhi." He said.