To Hell With The Wall

2007

Israel had a new idea. The wall of discrimination, or as Israel likes to call it, the ‘security barrier’.

Poor them, all they want is to live in peace and enjoy the rich resources of the land without being disturbed by the Palestinians, and their demands of liberty and independence on their land.

So to avoid any plans of resistance, and to get away from Hamas's suicide missions, they built up the wall. To protect their people from the ‘savage’ people of Palestine and their violence.

My name is Aya. I live in Jerusalem, and to get to my school, I have to sneak through the bricks of the wall, to get to the 1948 lands where my school is located.

Every day is another challenge. 

Every day is a battle for survival.

I'm not exaggerating, the wall is very deep and is 9 meters high.

They thought that by building it, they would limit our chances of getting what we want.

But no.

Not in a million years.

We will keep fighting until we get our land back.

On my way back home today, the Israeli soldiers stopped me and my friends. 

They took our school bags, searched them, and after they were done they threw them into the dirt. We yelled at them for doing so, and they yelled back at us and hit us, and soon a lot of people gathered.

Everyone yelled at them, in one loud voice, “Allahu Akbar.”

This carried on for an hour or so until the Israeli soldiers called the enforcement. They took the men and boys to jail and threatened the women and girls that they would take them too unless they shut up.

That day I went home late, my mom was terrified, and hugged me as soon as she saw me.

Then she yelled at me and I was punished.

That night when I went to sleep, I dreamed about the day when I can go to school with a smile on my face and no fear in my heart, a day when my country is finally free.