28 - Downhill

The rest of the flight was silent, but far from peaceful. Shayne stayed silent, and Courtney felt like she had ruined everything. Why am I such an idiot? She asked herself, shaking her head.

Shayne just sat there, still stunned. Red would occasionally open her mouth to ask something, but then shut it and nothing would come out. Besides blood, of course.

Courtney wanted nothing more than to count down the hours left on the flight, just to give her anxious brain something to do.

A different attendant came down the aisles handing people drinks and some snacks. When she came to them she looked at them strangely, obviously alerted by Red and her blood-covered face. "Is she...?" she trailed off, unsure of what to say.

"Yeah, she's fine," Courtney said dismissively. "Excuse me, but how many more hours until we arrive in LA?"

"Your flight should be two more hours," the lady said cheerfully.

Courtney sighed and pulled Shayne's jacket over her head. She couldn't wait two hours, for crying out loud. She put her head in her hands and sobbed quietly. She felt an arm wrap around her, Shayne's arm, which surprised her. She smiled a little bit into her hands. Okay, so she didn't ruin everything. But she still felt like she'd done something wrong. She let out another long, heavy sigh.

"Are you guys going to eat yours?" Red asked Shayne, wanting to eat his pretzels. She got no answer from Shayne. He just stayed wrapped around Courtney. Courtney lifted her head and nodded to Red, who just stared at her concerned, while putting food in her mouth at the same time. Shayne lifted his arm off of her and looked at his food. He kept looking over at Courtney, who was just crinkling the bag. "You okay?" he asked quietly, talking for the first time in hours.

Courtney nodded. "Yeah, I'm just... worried. I'm trying not to make a big scene about it." she lowered her head again.

Shayne tried to make a joke. "Yeah, if you did, you might get a kiss from me this time," he teased nervously. Courtney could feel her face heating up again.

"Two. Hours," Courtney sighed, attempting to avoid showing any reaction to his last comment. She laid back and looked up, head on her seat. "I can't wait that long! Hopefully Mari and Lasercorn and Wes have found them by now and they're safe."

But then she leaned forward again, thinking. What if they weren't safe? They had to be safe. Those emojis couldn't get them... could they? She shook her head.

Shayne looked over and saw Courtney's worried face. "Just... please can we stop thinking of them?" Shayne asked quietly. "It just makes me more anxious." he fidgeted in his seat.

Courtney looked over at Red and saw that she had fallen asleep, a handful of pretzels thrust in one hand, Shayne's bag in the other hand. Courtney chuckled. "She never stops eating, does she?"

"Luckily it's not us that she's putting in her mouth anymore," Shayne added, agreeing

"I miss Noah's 'Put It In My Mouth'," Courtney sighed. "That show was so much fun."

Shayne stayed silent, but Courtney could tell he wanted to say that he just missed Noah in general. He was clearly trying to avoid speaking of the people he was most concerned about.

They made weird, uncomfortable conversation until Courtney gasped. "Finally! I can see the ground!" She exclaimed, leaning in to look out of Red's window.

Red startled awake as the plane dropped. "Wha-huh? What'd I miss?" She asked drowsily, rubbing her eyes. She bent over and spat up more blood on the ground.