26 - Those Four Words

Damien kept glancing over at Ian, who looked like he was ready to pass out. Damien still held Mittens in his arms, tightly, out of fear that he'd lose his furry friend. Even Mittens was unnaturally quiet. The atmosphere seemed groggy and slow, and he could feel everyone's depression surrounding him from all angles. It made him overwhelmed, and of course, depressed as well. Things were not looking good, and he didn't know how much longer he could stay positive.

"Oh guys..." Damien sighed. "Please hurry."

Noah and Keith were sitting down in the middle of a bunch of cones. Noah had his head in his knees, and Keith sat near him, patting him on the back and trying to comfort him. The two friends just sat and waited, as if they had already given up.

Olivia sat next to Ian's wheelchair and laid her head on his shoulder. Occasionally her eyes would water, but she'd blink away the tears. Ian could only take deep breaths and close his eyes. Occasionally he'd moan and Olivia would startle and lift her head, trying to be there for him. He was practically a father, definitely her friend, and she felt so empty watching his constant struggle to remain completely aware. The small cones would occasionally nudge him to see if he was alright, but then they'd stop when he didn't answer.

Noah squeaked out a small cry, and Keith wrapped his arms around his friend. "I know, I'm scared too," he whispered. "But we can only hope that Lasercorn'll come through."

"But what if he doesn't and we're all picked up by that Molester?" Noah sputtered. "I don't think the dream ends when we die. Maybe we literally just... die." He cried quietly.

Damien hugged Mittens tight. "We... we just have to figure out how to stop this dream. Because that's all it is. I know we'll figure it out. We have to," he told himself.

Mittens sighed. "This may be the end of the line. Normally, I'd say 'put me the fu(bleep) down', but, uh... I think I'll stay here," the cat said quietly. "Whatever happens."

"Finally. Took the cat long enough to care," Noah muttered from his knees.

"Ian?" Olivia asked timidly. "Are you okay?"

He answered with a small whimper. She wrapped her arms around him, tears forming in her eyes. She had never felt so scared in her life. They were literally dealing with life or death.

"Wait, what would happen if one of us died but the rest of us figured things out?" Olivia asked suddenly. "Would they not be there when we woke up?"

"I have no idea," Damien said, shaking his head. "But none of us will probably..." he trailed off, his eyes widening. "Did you guys hear that?!" He asked excitedly, squeezing Mittens. The cat yelped in protest, but then his ears perked up in interest.

The rest of them went silent and listened carefully. They could hear a horn in the near distance.

A bus arrived on the scene, and everyone cheered. "YES! They CAME!" Olivia whooped. Ian smiled weakly, while Keith and Noah hugged each other.

"We're saved!" Noah cried.

"Are we sure that's them?" Keith asked nervously. The horn honked again, and they could see Lasercorn's bright orange hair in the driver's seat.

"He'll fit right in with the traffic cones," joked Damien, and the rest of them laughed, not at the joke specifically, but just the fact that they were being rescued.

The large bus pulled up near the cones, and Lasercorn, Joven, and Wes filed out. Mari was there, too, but she stayed on the bus.

"We're here to- holy sh(bleep) what happened to you?!" Wes asked. He meant to direct it toward Ian, but Damien quickly answered for him.