Ash

I won't tell you the story. I won't tell you anything but I will describe this image. I'll leave the rest up to you so your mind can create a place where they live on since they have death sentences here. They stood in a perfect line with their backs to the fire. Orange light dancing around to make their silhouettes near black. They held each others hands, forming an unbreakable link. Clothes torn and bloody, the way they stood was with a fierce determination that you won't see in many other places. Ash floated down blanketing their shoes. The noise was loud but silent at the same time. Everything narrowing to just them when your searching gaze finds the line. Chins held high. An outcast attitude. The air around them sizzled with a strong anger well controlled. Confidence and certainty flowed through the link. Do you see the scene in your mind? They were so fierce and present.

    The city around them was the opposite, broken and destroyed. Set ablaze. The smell of smoke and decay was strong, overpowering.

    The memory flashes through you, his heels dragging trenches in the sand, your eyes drier than that sand when you feel like you are unintentionally holding back a river, your chest aches to the point that you feel as though you are going to explode, your hand reaching towards the boy being dragged slowly away from your curled spine. His eyes fluttering shut and the sand ripping at your unprotected skin. A shriek roiled up in your stomach, slashing it's way out of you, filling the air with a thunderous scream. His eyes shot open, but the arms locked tighter and you watch as the lights flared and your pain sears. A dull ache circles your heart. Like a snake coiling it's way around it's sleeping place. Forever to stay.

    Then blasting fire. Calm cooling wind. And the sight laid out just for your eyes. The link of the unbroken standing against the flames.