Chapter 76: Lilly

My dad and I walked into the living room and I crossed my arms as I looked at him. Everyone had followed and they were watching from the doorway. It was silent for a few moments.

"You said you wanted to talk," I said. "Let's talk."

"I think you should come home," my dad said.

"Why?" I asked.

"It's Christmas, Lilly," he said.

"And the holiday means I should just forgive and forget immediately?" I questioned. "No, I'm going to need a better reason than that.

"We haven't spoken in quite a long time," he continued. "An entire year in fact and frankly, I find that ridiculous. So, I'm willing to make you a compromise. If you are willing to change your major to something more practical, I'll let you come home." I scoffed.

"You actually think that's a compromise?" I asked. He nodded and I scoffed again. "You don't just get to choose my major for me because you don't like what I chose!" I snapped.

"Lilly, you haven't spoken to me or your sisters in a year!" My dad snapped back. "You're obviously not mature enough to make life decisions!"

"Not talking to you has nothing to do with maturity, Dad!" I said. "You just don't want me to do something I really love!"

"It's too risky, Lilly," he said. "I know you don't have the smarts for law school, but you could get a business degree and-"

"Did you just call me stupid?" I interrupted him.

"Lilly," he said with a sigh. "We both know you're challenged-"

"Oh my God, no I'm not!" I snapped. "You just don't understand me! I'm not great at math and science, but I am so good at the creative side of things! I can write songs, I can memorize song lyrics after only a few listens, I can learn to play a new instrument faster than most and what's more, I'm good at it! I have a great singing voice, but you never heard it, because music means nothing to you!"

"Music is not a career!" He said, starting to raise his voice. "You'll never get anywhere with that."

"I'm already getting somewhere," I replied. "I have a band. We went on tour this summer and now we're recording an album with an actual record label! You should be proud of me!"

"I should be proud that you are deliberately defying me?" He asked. "You should be listening to me! I am the adult, you are the child!"

"I am not a child!" I yelled. "I am twenty-years-old! I'm in my third year of college, I have my own apartment and I've been in a loving, adult relationship for a year! I don't need you to tell me what to do! I don't need anything from you!"

"Enough of this!" He yelled back at me. "You are coming home with me, now!"

"No!" I yelled.

"For fuck's sake, Lilly!" He yelled again. "I am your father and you will listen to me!"

"You don't act like a father," I said. "Fathers are supposed to be supportive."

"Lilly, when you have kids you will understand," my dad said. "Kids need their parents to give them guidance more than support."

"You're not a parent," I said. "You're a dictator. You expect all your daughters to just follow what you say blindly."

"Lilliana-"

"Mom never would have done this to me!" I yelled. "She was kind! She was supportive of my dreams and she was twice the parent you ever will be!"

"Well she's dead, Lilly, so what difference does it make?" My dad yelled. I started tearing up and stormed upstairs, slamming Rory's bedroom door shut behind me. After a few minutes, my friends started slowly trickling in.

"Lilly," Lucy said softly. "Are you okay?" I sniffled and wiped my eyes.

"I'm fine," I said, choking back tears. Roger sat next to me and grabbed my hand.

"You're not fine," he said. I broke down in tears, unable to hold back anymore. Roger wrapped his arm around me and Freddie sat on the other side of me, taking my other hand comfortingly.

"He didn't even apologize," I cried. "He just blamed everything on me and then threw my mom's death in my face! It's like he doesn't even care about her anymore!"

"I'm sorry baby," Roger said.

"It's not your fault, darling," Freddie said.

"He's right, Lilly," Rory said. "You should be able to make your own decisions without feeling guilty." I sniffled and Roger wiped one of my tears away.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I shouldn't be putting this on you guys."

"Are you kidding?" Joe said. "What do you think we're here for?" Everyone smiled and nodded in agreement.

"Several of us have hard home lives," Brian said. "And we're on our own in the city. It's good that we have each other. It's like our own little family." I smiled slightly.

"God knows you guys do more for me than my family," Winter said. "For example, today is my twenty-first birthday. This morning, Rory organized a private brunch at a restaurant owned by her mom's friend and we all drank mimosas, even though we're not all old enough to drink. Do you know what my parents did today? My mother texted me to tell me not to die of alcohol poisoning - those were her exact words - and my father hasn't spoken to me since the day I was actually born, so, nothing from him."

"I'm sorry Winnie," I said. "And I'm sorry all this happened on your birthday."

"Don't worry about it," she said. "I still think it was a great day." Everyone agreed and I smiled.

"I love you guys," I said.

"We love you too, Flower," Winter said. Rory's mother, Mary, came upstairs and knocked slightly on the open door.

"Your father went home, Lilly," she said softly. "I sent him away, I figured you did not want to see him. I hope that's alright."

"It's perfect," I said. "I was done talking to him."

"You all should get some sleep," Mary said. "We have a big, wonderful Christmas ahead of us tomorrow!" We said goodnight to Mary and went to our separate rooms to go to sleep. Tomorrow will be a better day.