Chapter 71: Roger

"Roger, explain this to us one more time," Brian said. "What did Debbie say to you exactly?"

"Her exact words were 'I'm pregnant'," I said. "How hard is that to understand?"

"Did she say this before or after you told her you were back with Lilly?" Brian asked.

"After," I said. "But I think she was going to tell me before."

"She's not pregnant," Freddie said.

"Fred, what are you talking about?" I asked him. "She told me she was."

"Yeah, but she didn't tell you until after she knew you were with Lilly, therefore she is lying," Freddie said.

"I told you she was going to tell me before," I argued.

"Was she?" Freddie said. "She didn't say she had news before you told her about Lilly, she asked you to go to dinner with her. Darling, she asked you on a date and then you rejected her, so she told you she was pregnant. She's trying to trap you."

"Oh bloody hell, Fred," I said. "Brian, will you please tell him that's ridiculous?" Brian paused for a second and sighed.

"I don't know, mate," Brian said. "Based on Debbie's reputation, it does seem like something she would do."

"She has done it before, actually," John said, finally speaking up. We all looked over at him at once. "Were none of you aware that this has happened before?" He asked.

"No," Freddie said. "When did this happen?"

"Last year," John said. "She was dating this guy last year and he wanted to break up with her, but she convinced him she was pregnant... for five months. He suspected she was lying for a while and one day he followed her to what he thought was a doctor's appointment and found her day drinking at a party. She had to confess."

"That's insanity," Brian said.

"Deaky, how do you even know this?" I asked him.

"Rory told me," he said. "Her boyfriend is the guy it happened to."

"Mason dated Debbie?" Freddie asked. "Good for him for getting out of that. Rory is much nicer and prettier, honestly."

"Yeah, that's true," I said. "But it's not important. If you all suspect Debbie is lying about this, I think you may be right, but we have no way to figure it out. Unless I do what Mason did and that doesn't seem logical... especially since I'd have to hide it from Lilly for five months. So what can we do?"

"We'll have to get her to confess to it some other way," Freddie said.

"Or," Brian said. "We could just get her to confess to somebody else. Like maybe... another pregnant woman who perhaps trapped her boyfriend with said pregnancy."

"We don't know any pregnant women," I said.

"No we don't," Brian said. "But we know plenty of women who can say they are pregnant."

"Like who?" I asked.

"We need a good actress," John said. "What about Lucy?"

"I don't think Lucy should be involved in this," I said. "She can't keep a secret."

"Yes she can," Freddie said. "She keeps more secrets than anyone." We all gave Freddie confused looks. "I'm telling you darlings, she knows more than any of us realize," he said.

"Maybe, but she tells Rami everything," Brian said. "And then there's a 50/50 chance Rami will tell Joe, who will then definitely tell Ben, who will probably tell Gwilym, who will absolutely tell Ella, who will tell Rory, who will tell Winter and then it'll get back to-"