Chapter 54: Lilly

Freddie and I couldn't get Joe to talk to us, although Lord knows we tried. I wasn't making fun of Joe or Ben for what happened, I was happy for them. I just wanted to know if they were a couple now. Since I was having no luck with Joe, I decided to try Ben. I walked into his room and he sighed when he saw me.

"No," he said. He was making his bed and he didn't stop doing it just because I was there, clearly showing he didn't want to talk to me. Still, I persisted.

"No what?" I said. "I didn't even say anything!"

"You're going to ask if I want to talk about Joe and I," Ben said. "And the answer is no, I don't want to talk about it right now."

"Why?" I asked. "Oh God, you don't think last night was a mistake do you?"

"What I think about last night is my business," he said. I giggled and smiled.

"You liked it didn't you?" I asked.

"Leave me alone, Lilly," he said.

"You did like it!" I said happily. Ben threw one of his pillows down and walked over to the door, shutting it so we were in private.

"Of course I did!" He whispered. "I care about Joe and my sexuality has been clear to me since high school, but Joe's hasn't! This is all new for him and he didn't really want anyone to know yet. So if you and Freddie could just back the fuck off for a while, I would really appreciate it!"

"Ok, ok," I said, throwing my hands up in defeat. "I'll back off."

"And?" Ben said.

"And I'll get Freddie to back off," I said. "I'm sorry I didn't realize Joe was so sensitive about this." Ben rolled his eyes and continued cleaning his room. "Can I just ask you one question, though?" I asked him.

"Lilly..."

"Just one question!" I said. "I promise I'll leave you alone after." Ben sighed heavily.

"I can't promise I'll answer it," he said. "But go ahead."

"Does it bother you that Joe is so sensitive about this?" I asked. Ben shrugged.

"Maybe a little," he said. "But I understand why he is. It's just so new for him." I nodded in agreement.

"I bet he'll come around," I said. "He probably just thinks everyone will be too nosy about it." Ben glared at me.

"Yeah," he said. "And you're not exactly helping with that." He walked out of the room and I scoffed. Freddie came running in right after.

"Darling, I have to tell you something!" He said.

"No," I said. "Do not tell me you talked to Joe again, I just told Ben I would get you to back off!"

"Oh stop worrying!" He said. "This has nothing to do with Joe and Ben."

"Ok that what do you need to tell me?" I asked. Freddie smiled and focused his dark eyes on mine without saying anything for a few minutes. "Freddie you're creeping me out," I said. "Speak!"

"She's here," he said.

"Oh my God Freddie this is the second time this week you've done this," I said. "You saw Jim on the beach and said he's here. Now she's here? Who is she? You need to be more-" Freddie put his hand over my mouth.

"Shut up, darling," he said. "You know who she is. The scarlett woman." Freddie took his hand off my mouth and I gasped, realizing what he meant.

"She's on the beach?" I asked.

"No," Freddie said. "She's in the house. At the front door." Freddie and I ran downstairs and saw her. Anita Dobson.

"Hello, Lilly," Anita said. "Is Brian here?"