Chapter 53: Freddie

Our dinner celebrating John and Veronica's engagement was delicious and quite enjoyable. Still, all I could think about was the fact that Joe and Ben weren't with us. When we returned from the beach, we tried to invite them, but when we knocked on Ben's door all he did was poke his head out and say he was tired and Joe had already gone to sleep. I was going to knock on Joe's door to see if Ben was telling the truth, but Ella practically begged me not to do that, not wanting to bother him. Brian would not even go in to change, even though he was sharing a room with Joe. He ended up borrowing an outfit from Gwilym, who was luckily the same height, so his clothes fit. Without any proof, I had a feeling something was going on. Everyone thought I was mad, except for one person. I've said it before and I'll say it again; thank God for Lilly. She was as suspicious as I was, maybe even more. She actually may have been a little crazy, because I woke up to her shaking my arm roughly. 

"Freddie," she said excitedly. "Freddie, wake up!" I groaned and rolled over without opening my eyes. I was too tired for her antics right now. "Freddie come on!" She whined. "Don't you want to figure out what's happening with Joe and Ben?" I opened my eyes slightly and checked my phone quickly before closing them again. 

"It's 7 am," I said. "Talk to me in three to five hours." Lilly scoffed.

"I'm not waiting that long," she said. "You're going to want to hear this." I shooed her away and snuggled back into my blankets. I could basically hear Lilly putting her hand on her hip as she said, "Brian said Joe didn't sleep in their room last night." My eyes shot open and I quickly sat up.

"Then where did he sleep?" I asked. Lilly looked just how I thought she would. She was standing there in her favorite off-white sweat pants and a black tank top with her long hair left unbrushed, showing she had clearly just woken up. She had her arms folded and a big smirk on her face, satisfied that she had my attention.

"I don't know," she said. "But I want to find out. Are you going to find out with me?"

"Of course, darling," I said. I slowly started to get up, but I stopped myself. "Can you give me one second?" I asked her.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because darling," I said, lowering my voice. "I'm not wearing any pants."

"What?" She said with a small laugh. "Why? Jim's not here!"

"I don't like sleeping with bottoms on darling!" I said. "Just wait outside for a minute!" Lilly laughed and shook her head as she left the room. I quickly pulled on a pair of pajama pants and met Lilly outside the door. "So where do we start with this?" I asked her. Lilly glanced down and quickly looked back up. 

"We can start with you buttoning up those pants," she said. I looked down and quickly fixed her pants. Lilly rolled her eyes and laughed. "I think we should check in on Ben since we know Joe wasn't in his room." She said. I nodded and we walked downstairs to Ben's room. Lilly was about to knock, but I gently grabbed her wrist before she could.

"Don't knock," I said.

"Why not?" Lilly asked. 

"Think about it, darling," I whispered. "If he's hiding something and he knows we're here, he can easily cover it up before letting us in. We should just wait here and let him come to us." 

"He could still cover up what he's hiding," she said. "That is if he has something to hide."

"But it won't be easy," I said. Lilly shrugged and just went along with what I said. We stood outside the door for a few minutes before it swung open and we saw Joe standing there with Ben. The two of them stared at us with wide eyes. I gasped and Lilly gave them her famous satisfied smirk. 

"What's a matter little deer?" Lilly said. "You see a few headlights?" I looked at Lilly confused. "They look like deer who just saw some car headlights coming at them," she explained. I was still confused. "A deer in the headlights. It's an expression." Ben and I stared at each other for a minute.

"Oh I know," Ben said. "She's confused. She means rabbit in the headlights." I nodded in agreement. 

"What no!" Lilly said. "It's deer!"

"Maybe in New England," Ben mumbled. 

"We're getting off-topic here!" Lilly said. "What are you two doing coming out of the same bedroom at seven in the morning?"

"Yes, I would like to know that too," I said, focusing my attention back on the two of them.

"Well," Joe started, clearly preparing to lie through his teeth. "I-I just came in early this morning to talk to Ben about..."

"About Winter," Ben finished. "I woke Joe up early because I was upset and I needed a friend."

"Woke him up from where?" Lilly asked. "Brian said he didn't sleep in their room."

"He's lying," Joe said. 

"Brian's not lying," Lilly said. "He rarely lies, and when he does he's terrible at it. I'd be able to tell."

"Why would he lie about that anyway?" Freddie asked. It was silent for a minute while Joe and Ben were trying to think of another story to tell us. I suddenly saw Joe wince and rub his lower back. Ben gave him a sympathetic look.

"What was that?" Lilly asked. She clearly saw their actions too. "Why does your back hurt and what was that look?"

"What look," Ben said. "There was no look." 

"And my back is fine," Joe said. "All parts of me are just fine." I suddenly realized what was going on. I slapped Lilly's arm a little too hard and gasped.

"You two had sex!" I yelled. 

"Ow!" Lilly said overdramatically. 

"Sorry my dear," I said, insincerely. "But get over it, Joe and Ben had sex!" Joe quickly shushed me and I smirked. "So I'm right! You two fucked... and Ben was clearly on top." Lilly giggled softly.

"What we did or didn't do is none of your business!" Ben said. 

"There's no 'didn't do', darling," Freddie said. "It clearly happened!" Ben and Joe looked away nervously.

"Why are you so embarrassed?" Lilly asked. "This is wonderful! You clearly care about each other!" 

"I'm not talking about this with you," Joe snapped. He walked away slowly, clearly still sore. Ben scoffed and followed him. 

"I remember those days," I said to Lilly. "He'll get used to it." 

"So you are a bottom!" Lilly said. I rolled my eyes and she laughed. I expected nothing less from the woman I called my best friend.