Chapter 57: Lilly

TRIGGER WARNING

The next few days were so blissful for all the lovely couples in the house. Roger and I were going strong as usual. Lucy and Rami were insufferably close, as they always are. John and Veronica were enjoying their engagement. Brian and Anita were celebrating their blossoming relationship along with Jim and Freddie. Gwilym and Ella seemed happy for the first time in a long time, and Joe and Ben had happily announced their relationship to everyone. Everyone was supportive, which was what I expected. We were their friends and we all thought they worked well together. The only people having a problem with it were Winter and Rory, but they were their ex-girlfriends and they were both single. Honestly, I thought they were handling it pretty well considering the circumstances.

On Friday, we decided we were going to spend one more day on the beach with everyone since we were leaving the next day. Jim joined us on the beach and spent all day clinging to Freddie's side. They had become very close very fast and it was adorable. Roger and I spent some time in the ocean. It was the first time he swam all week. He finally decided to take his shirt off since his burns were healing, so he actually wanted to go in the water with me. About halfway through the day, we all decided to break for lunch. Everyone was in the middle of making sandwiches when the doorbell rang. Brian went to answer it while we all stayed in the kitchen.

"Roger," Brian said, walking back into the kitchen. "It's for you." Roger looked at Brian confused. 

"Who is it?" He asked. Before Brian could answer a man walked into the kitchen. He was in his mid to late forties and he looked angry and mean. He was clearly drunk and I could tell that only made his rage worse. I looked at Roger and saw that he was noticeably shaking. "D-dad," he said nervously. "W-what are you doing here?" 

"We need to talk, Roger," Roger's dad said. "You think I'm just going to let you move out of my house?"

"I figured you wouldn't want me there," Roger said. "You never want me around anyway."

"We're discussing this in the other room," his father said. He grabbed Roger's arm harshly and I tried to push him away without thinking. 

"Leave him alone!" I said. Roger's father pushed me into the counter roughly and pulled Roger into the living room. 

"What's going on?" Brian asked. 

"Something bad," Freddie said. Freddie and I went to the door, followed by everyone else, but I didn't let anyone charge in there. I was afraid it would only make things worse. We needed to think of something that would actually help.

"You're not moving out of the house Roger," his father yelled at him.

"Why not?" Roger yelled back, although he still sounded nervous. "Do you even want me there?"

"You won't be able to handle leaving," his father said. "You're lazy and worthless. You won't be able to handle paying for that apartment and the burden will fall on me!" 

"Oh my God," Brian whispered. "This is awful. I didn't know his father was like this."

"This isn't even the worst of it," I mumbled. 

"What do you mean?" Brian asked. I ignored him and focused back on the situation with Roger. 

"We need to do something about this," I said. "Somebody call the police and tell them we have an intruder." 

"Why?" Lucy asked me. 

"Just trust me," I said. "Call the police, but do it away from the door so he doesn't hear us."

"Trust her darling," Freddie said, backing me up. "She's right about this." Freddie was the only other person who knew about Roger's dad, so he knew I was right. Lucy decided to listen to us and walked away from the door to call the police. The rest of us focused back on Roger and his father.