Chapter 26: Lilly

As soon as I saw Freddie's body lying on the street, all the hatred I felt towards seemed to vanish into thin air. Something about seeing him beat up on the cold street made the name he called me and his role in Rory and Joe's breakup seem petty and unimportant. All I felt now was fear for Freddie and anger towards the assholes who did it, but mainly, I was in shock. Freddie was covered in bruises and blood and he was waking up. Whoever did this also took his coat and there was a snowstorm going on, so he was freezing cold.

"I'm calling 911!" Joe said, immediately taking out his phone when we saw Freddie's face.

"How are they going to get here?" Rory asked. "Do you even know where we are?"

"Rory, for once just let me do something!" Joe snapped. Rory immediately shut up and backed away. This was a dire situation and I think she realized her behavior was not helping.

Joe started telling the 911 dispatcher what happened. Luckily, they could track his phone and get an ambulance out here, since we had no idea where we were. I don't think telling them we were in an alley somewhere in Manhattan would be helpful.

"Alright," Joe said once he was off the phone. "They're sending an ambulance to us. They said in the meantime we should just wait and make sure we don't move him."

"Then that's what we'll do," Roger said. "Right, baby?" I was still kneeling down by Freddie, frozen. I still couldn't believe this happened.

"Freddie," I said, shaking him softly. "Please wake up. I'm so sorry." I started crying as I continued to try and wake him.

"Honey," Roger said, putting his hand on my shoulder. "They said not to move him."

"Well, we have to do something!" I cried. "We can't just sit here!"

"Lilly, sweetie," Rory said softly. "We can't do anything. He can't get help until the ambulance gets here."

"Can we at least try to warm him up?" I said through my tears. "They took his coat! It's snowing out here and he's wearing nothing but a t-shirt and jeans. He could get frostbite on his arms!" I took my coat off and laid it over Freddie in a desperate attempt to wake him up.

"Lilly, you need that," Roger said to me. "You'll freeze."

"Freddie needs it more," I said. I tried to hide the fact that I was shivering without my jacket. I suddenly felt another jacket drape over my shoulders. I looked up and realized it was Roger's. I smiled softly and sniffled while burying my cold face in his oversized coat.

"Stand up baby," Roger said. "Your legs are covered in snow." I stood up and Roger wrapped his arms around me, trying to keep both of us warm. Fortunately, it wasn't much longer before the ambulance arrived.

"Is anybody riding with him?" The paramedic asked us.

"I will," I volunteered.

"Lilly-"

"It's fine," I interrupted Roger. "I know all his information. Just meet me there, ok?" Roger nodded reluctantly. I handed him back his coat and took mine off Freddie when I climbed into the ambulance. When we got to the hospital, I gave the doctors all of the required information before they made me wait in the lobby. Everyone else burst through the doors not long after that.

"What's going on?" Brian asked. "Is Freddie alright?"

"I don't know," I said. "They haven't told me anything." We all sat in the waiting room for a long time before a doctor finally came out to see us.

"Anyone here for Farrokh Bulsara?" He asked. We all stood up and looked at him.

"We all are," John said. "And he prefers Freddie."

"Wow, there are a lot of you," he said. "I'm Dr. Green, I'll be treating Freddie tonight. Are any of you actually related to him?"

"His whole family is back in England," I said. "We're his friends, we all go to school together."

"Alright," he said. "Well, I guess I'll just speak to all of you then. You may want to sit."

"That's never good," Winter mumbled as we all sat.

"Ok," Dr. Green started. "I'll just jump right into it. Freddie's condition is very serious. His left arm is broken, as well as a couple of ribs, and he has cuts and bruises in several other places. On top of all that, he has some pretty serious head trauma and he's currently in a coma."

"Oh my God," I whispered under my breath. I buried my head in Roger's shoulder, trying to keep myself together.

"There is good news," Dr. Green continued. "We did an MRI, and there are no immediate signs of brain injury. There could still be some minor problems, but we won't know until he walks up."

"And how long will that be?" Lucy asked. Dr. Green sighed.

"I honestly don't know," he said. "We set his arm and he's resting in the ICU. All we can do right now is keep an eye on his vitals and let you know if anything changes. In the meantime, you might want to think about pressing charges against whoever did this. Any idea who it was?"

"It was those bloody bastards from TKE!" Roger suddenly yelled.

"Roger, calm down mate," Brian said softly.

"No!" Roger yelled again. "I will not calm down, those motherfuckers could have killed Fred!"

"Roger-"

"No Brian!" Roger interrupted. "I'm not just going to relax when those fucking criminals are out there just beating the shit out of whoever they want! I swear to God-"

"Roger please!" I cried, pulling my face away from his jacket. I was sobbing now. "I know you're angry, but please just stop! Those idiots were mad at us and they took it out on Freddie! And now he's in a coma and all I can think about is the fact that he still thinks I hate him because I was too stubborn to forgive him for something so stupid! And I..." My words started to run together as I started sobbing harder. Roger's expression softened as he pulled me close to him.

"Ok baby," he said softly, stroking my hair with his hand. "It's ok, I'm sorry. Shh, it's alright, I'm done yelling, I promise." I cried on his shoulder as he kissed my head.

"I know this is hard," Dr. Green said. "If any of you want to see go see him, you can. Room 46, right down the hall."

"Thank you, Doctor," Brian said. Dr. Green gave us a small half smile and walked away.

"I want to go see him," I said once I pulled myself together. Everyone nodded in agreement and we walked down the hall to Freddie's room.