Chapter 7: Lilly

That night, Roger took me to this little hole-in-the-wall place he found in Little Italy. It was really good and it was quiet, so it gave us plenty of time to talk. I was really excited to tell him about the Battle of the Bands contest our school was having. I wanted his support.

"So," I said as we sat down. "Did you hear the school is having a battle of the bands?" Roger looked down slightly and said,

"Yeah, I heard."

"Well I'm entering," I said. "My roommate told me about it actually. Apparently, she plays drums, so I'm going to sing and she can drum. And Joe has been hooking up with this girl who plays guitar, and she knows a girl who plays bass so we've got everybody!"

"That's great, Lilly," Roger said with very little enthusiasm.

"What's wrong?" I asked. "Do you not think I'm good enough to enter?"

"No you sing beautifully," Roger said. "And so does Freddie."

"Freddie!?" I snapped. What the hell was he bringing him up for?

"Freddie's entering too," Roger said.

"Well he needs a band," I replied.

"He has one," Roger said. "Minus a bass player. Brian May agreed to play guitar and... I said I would drum for him." I glared at him. There were so many things I wanted to scream at this moment, but I just couldn't. This was a nice place and I refused to make a scene in here. So I didn't. I just walked out the front door.

"Lilly wait!" Roger yelled, running after me. We got out to the street and I started looking for the nearest subway station. "Lilly don't leave!" Roger yelled. "I can explain!" I turned around and looked at him.

"Ok explain," I said. "Explain why just when I was really starting to fall for you, you betrayed me by teaming up with my mortal enemy!"

"Don't you think that's a little harsh?" Roger said. "First of all, you haven't even known Freddie for a month so I'm not so sure you can call him your mortal enemy. He's maybe your rival, but not your enemy."

"Whatever," I said. "Was there a second of all?"

"Yes," Roger said. "Second of all, I joined Freddie's band after he told me you asked Winter to be your drummer. I knew you didn't need me. I'm not a music major, this is the only chance I have to really play and I thought it would be fun! Is that really so bad?"

"I guess not," I mumbled, lowering my eyes slightly. Roger walked over to me and grabbed my right hand with his, using his left hand to lift my chin slightly.

"Lilly I really like you," he said. "I'm not trying to 'betray you' or anything, I just thought it might be fun. Besides, nobody else in this school is going to be able to compete against you, don't you want to have some real competition?" I giggled.

"It's true," I said. "Freddie's voice is the only one that comes close to as good as mine. And Winter is a hell of a drummer, you better bring your A game!" Roger chuckled. He stared at me for a second before pressing his soft lips against mine. I kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him, before pulling his lips away from mine and smiling at me.

"So you're not angry?" Roger asked.

"Nah," I said. "This is gonna be one hell of a competition."

"That's if we can even compete," Roger said. "We still haven't found a good bass player and I have no doubt in my mind that Freddie has been looking since the minute he decided to enter. We're supposed to enter by Monday and we have nobody." I thought for a minute and then smirked. Roger gave me a puzzled look. "What's that face for?" He asked. I smiled and said,

"Any chance you know John Deacon?"