When he's grown up (45)

Clary woke to the sound of laughing. Two laugh's she'd know anywhere and so with a shaky laugh herself Clary opened her eyes to see Jace and Jake sat on the end of his medical bed. Jake was shaking his head rapidly and pointing to something on the bed.

"No daddy, the dog is mine, you hwave the iron" and Clary suddenly understood. They were fighting over monopoly.

"That's an iron? No wonder all my clothes look like wrinkled old ladies" Jace said and as soon as he did Jake burst out laughing.

"That's what mommy's for" he said with a cheeky grin and Clary couldn't help the tut that escaped her lips.

"Mr Herondale, why are you not asleep" Clary asked as she sat up in the chair, she had a bad ache in her neck that she suspected was due to the fact she had slept in a chair all night. Both boys turned to face her and Jace simply smiled as Jake lost interest and turned back to the board.

"Which Herondale were you referring too?" Jace asked with a cheeky smile and Clary wanted nothing more in that moment than to wrap her arms around him and never let go.

"The little one" Clary said lazily as she stood up with a stretch. "How long was i out?"

"Well" Jace said slowly. "Hard to tell, i couldn't hear the clock through your snoring" and once again Jake giggled beside him.

"Don't encourage him Jake" Clary said with a slight smile herself. She slowly made her way over to Jake and bent down in front of him.

"Show me your belly" Clary said as she got on her knee's. so she was Jake's hight. He sighed dramatically but did as she said, lifting up his ninja turtles shirt to show off a ruff looking bandage that covered most of his small flat stomach. Carefully Clary began to unwrap the bandage, making sure to keep an eye on Jake incase she caused him pain. As she unwrapped a few layers she started to see blood wringing the bandage, a small patch of brown dry blood that had her heart aching. The queen was going to pay for what she had done to him.

"Clary" Jace said seriously. All the humour gone from his tone. He was looking at her worriedly, like he could read her thoughts. She shook her head once as she carried on unwrapping. Until she reached the final layer, with a small pull Clary slowly lifted the last patch of bandage and couldn't help the gasp that escaped her lips. Jake's stomach looked bad. There was a diagonal cut running through the bottom of his stomach near his hip bone, with at least fifth-teen stitches holding it shut. Around the wound was red and sore. As if seeing her reaction Jake looked down and frowned.

"Am i going to have a scar like daddy now?" Jake asked almost revoltingly, with his little nose scrunched up cutely and Clary couldn't help but giggle at Jake's reaction. Jace on the other hand simply scoffed and lifted up his shirt.

"I'll have you know" he said whilst poking the faint white scar from where Clary had stabbed him. "Girls like men with scars" he said defensively and looked to Clary for back up. She on the other hand couldn't look away from Jace. It had been nearly seven years since they were married and Jace still seemed to have that effect on her. The curve of his hip line. The perfect outlines of muscle. She couldn't look away, and she didn't trust her voice so Clary simply nodded her head. Jace looked sideways at her with a goofy grin on his face as he raised an eyebrow.

"You alright there mrs Herondale? Need a cold bath" Jace asked cheekily.

"Why does mommy need a bath?" Jake asked and completely snapped Clary out of her funk. She snapped back to attention and grinned at the ground.

"Dad will tell you when your older" Clary said whilst reapplying the bandage.

"Now you need sleep, and i need to go get Charlotte, before she wakes up again" Clary said with a sigh and rubbed her forehead, but before she could even stand up Jace placed a hand on her shoulder.