The talk (38)

Clary knocked repeatedly on the door. Waiting impatiently for it to open. Finally after what had felt like months to Clary and after she had burnt a hole in the floor from tapping her shoes on the floor the door creaked open. And a head popped out into view, her mother looked strained and tired but as soon as she saw Clary she looked her up and down in shock.

"I didn't think you'd be up and about yet" her mother said. Admiration set in her tone. Clary had to try hard not to roll her eyes.

"When were you going to tell me?" Clary asked, not realising how angry she sounded, she hadn't even realised she was angry. Her mother looked up at her whole heartedly.

"Told you what?" She asked, and it was clear from the way she was speaking that she knew exactly what Clary was on about. Her tone was dry and slow. As if she was trying to think of a reasonable answer in her head.

"You know full bloody well what!" Clary shouted. She winced at the harshness in her own tone and tried to quieten it, but seeing her mother like this just seemed to aggravate her more, it was a constant reminder that a good half of her life so far had been based on a lie. And she didn't want it to happen again.

"Shut up shouting and come in" her mother said worryingly as she swung the door open a bit further for Clary to squeeze by into the room, whilst her mother looked around the corridors in case anyone had heard them. After Clary slipped into the room her mother slammed the door shut ferociously and spun to face Clary dead on. Clary tried anything to avoid her mothers intimidating stare. So instead she looked around the room. It was the same as any other spare room in the institute but it also held small hints that someone lived in the room. The make up bag and hair brush thrown carelessly onto the table below the mirror. Something Clary knew Jace would be itching to clean up if he were in there. There was also the bed sheets, rumpled and slightly hanging out at one end of the bed, as though the person tucking it in had bigger things to worry about. But the most shocking thing of all was the small photo on her bedside table, it was a baby scan, a photo of a foetus, little toes and hands just visible, it was clear from the photo and Clary's experience that the scan could only of been about one month in at the most. But her mother hadn't even started to show. At all.

"Dod you hear me?" Her mother asked as Clary looked back at her confusingly.

"Sorry what?" Clary asked with a sweet smile and her mother grunted with effort.

"Sit down" her mother repeated whilst waving a hand towards the bed. Clary was about to ague when she looked up to see the look on her mothers face. It was pure annoyance seemingly mixed with care and compassion. Clary knew she couldn't argue with her mother when she was in this mood. She also hated to admit it but needed to sit down, she still felt shaky and uneasy on her feet and knew she should be in bed, but she couldn't bring herself to, not until she got the answers she came for. But her mother confused her with a question before she even got a chance to say anything.

"Where's charlotte?" She asked with raised eyebrows. As though she didn't think Jace was capable of looking after a child of his own.

"I gave her to the silent brothers for the night, thought a night in the cells might clear her head" Clary said sarcastically but her mother just scowled at her.

"Fine" Clary said with a huff of air. "If you must know i was bringing her to see you with me, but i was ambushed by Izzy on the way by and you

Know how she is, she wanted amy to be the first child she meets, apparently not including Jake, so she's in good hands" Clary said with a sour smile and then signalled for Jocelyn to start talking.

"All of it" Clary said with a glare. She didn't want to be lied to again, she didn't think she could handle more

Lies. Her mother sighed but seemed to realise that Clary wasn't going to budge until she had answers.

"He's one month old roughly" she started, cracking a large smile.

"Me and Luke were going to tell you but i wanted to know what it was first, and when, well you know we found out it was a boy, i don't know, i just kept stalling. I couldn't tell you that you were going to have a brother, not after sebastian" as soon as she said it. Clary felt a pump in her heart. It was always the same when his name came up, it was weird. He was dead but still whenever his name came up she felt as though she couldn't breath. She wanted nothing more than to run from the room that his name had been said in. But she was happy. She was going to have a real brother, someone who she could spend real memories and real time with.

"I'm not mad" Clary said, obviously surprising her mother who just smiled.

"I know sweetie, it was just a lot to take in. Especially after gaining a daughter. It's brilliant by the way, girls are way better" she said with a shaky laugh and Clary soon realised that she was laughing as well.

"Anyone has to be an improvement on my boys" Clary said with a smile. It didn't matter how Much she took the mick out of Jace and Jake because it was clear to everyone around her, that her boys meant everything to her, they were the best thing she could of hoped for, but now she realised glumly, she would have to find a new name for them, because her family had just gone up by one, they were a complete four, a perfect family. And another child, a brother a sister or even a granddaughter would be happy to be apart

Of their family. And Clary welcomed this new child with all her heart. She just hoped he wouldn't turn out like sebastian.

Her mothers next words were soft and loving.

"I'm happy" she said and Clary seemed to realise the sentence was more for reassurance in herself than for anyone else.

"Mom?" Clary asked. Suddenly curious and this seemed to knock her mother out of her day dream.

"Yes sweetie?" She asked innocently, as if she was only half listening.

"Where is Luke?" She asked slowly. Trying to tell if her mom gave away any emotions but instead she looked up straight at Clary and sighed.

"He had meeting work for the clave. Apparently they had a new child sent in from the everglades. He caused quite a but of commotion when he portalled to idris. Apparently the meeting is only happening because he's part fairy. There trying to figure out where he was from originally but the child is confused". As her mother finished speaking Clary looked to the floor. She wasn't even aware this poor child was suffering in idris just because he was part fairy. It seemed to be cruel to her. The favt that they could be there now. Using the soul sword or worse on this poor child. Before she knew what she was doing Clary got up off the bed and headed for the plain oak door. After being told about the child she had an urge to spend every waking minute she had with her daughter. And to Clary's surprise her mom didn't try to stop her. It was as if she knew what Clary was thinking. As Clary slung the door open and prepared to leave her mother smiled at her.

"Don't forget the celebration is

In a couple of days and Clary, i love you" she said and before Clary could spoil the mood, she silently slipped through the door. Her mind purely on the poor kid that was in idris right now. Hoping and praying he was ok.