The wait (43)

Clary sat in the infirmary waiting room patiently. She stared at the wall with such determination she was worried she'd burn a whole through it. But before she had chance to move. Last night came crashing back to her like a wave. She had thought she was saying goodbye, and still wasn't sure if she was to her son. As soon as her mother and simon spotted her they had rushed straight over in the heat of the battle around them. And they had helped Clary, they tried to pull Jake away but all Clary could remember was screaming. Holding on tight. She felt a hollowness in her heart and soon enough more shadow hunters had arrived and before long the inevitable had happened. Her small six year old boy had been pried from her bloody hands and carried away. It took her mother and simon both to pin her down from following them, but all Clary could remember was muffled voices. Nothing was Clear to her apart from her mothers voice, telling her over and over that it will be ok. That Jace was safe and Jake would be too. But Clary could hear the strain in her mothers voice. Jace had also been carried unconscious from the battle. Leaving the remaining shadow hunters and wolves to fight off the last of the fairies. They had searched for the queen but came back empty. It was like she had disappeared from the face of the earth and it worried Clary, but not as much as it worried her to be sat in a waiting room waiting for someone to come and tell her that one or the other of her boys had died. She sat quietly in silence, lost in her own thoughts that she didn't hear the door open until a hand rested on her shoulder. With a start Clary looked up and came face to face with a blue eyed woman. One of the many warlocks that had been called in after the battle to deal with the injured. Although she was alone in the room. Most people had gone off to do things. Like simon and her mother who had other duties that lay else where. She suspected they were giving her space. But the silence had been almost enjoyable.

"Mrs Herondale. Your husbands awake. And he wants to see you" the warlock said politely. It was obvious that this woman worked in a hospital from the way she dressed and poised herself. She was a skinny woman with long brown hair and large blue eyes. She wore an old fashioned blue button down shirt and a plaid skirt to match. That was all Clary needed to hear before she leapt to her feet and had to force herself not to run full force into the room and barrel herself at Jace. She had been waiting for Jace to wake up and for Jake to come out of surgery for about five hours and although she had stopped crying a while ago. Clary could feel fresh tears brimming in her eyes.

As soon as the door opened Clary could no longer hold herself back. She barrelled herself towards Jace and before he could even rise from the bed. She smashed into him full force and wrapped her arms tightly around him. Not being able to hold in the tears that flowed freely from her eyes. She could hear the warlock lady talking to Jace quietly, but Clary was just too relieved to see him that she blocked everything else out. After about three minutes of silence Jace pulled her slightly back and smiled weakly back at her. He reached out with both hands and wiped her face feebly. As if searching for a wound that wasn't there. His thumbs lightly brushed away the tears and Clary was almost sure she would burst into more.

"Your ok" he said quietly, slowly as he broke into a relieved smile.

"No i'm not" Clary said as she brushed his hands away. For a brief second his face showed confusion, but then he looked up at her sadly. He had a purpling bruise on the left side of his face and a swollen jaw where the butt of the blade had hit him. But it wasn't his wounds on the outside that needed healing, it was everything on the inside.

"Is he-" Jace asked horsely as his voice cracked.

"He's in surgery Jace" Clary replied just as horsely. "Our baby boy's in there fighting for his life right now, and it's my fault" Clary spat in self hatred as Jace took a step forward and grabbed her roughly by the hand. "It's not your fault, Clary listen to me. He's going to be fine, our boy's a fighter" Jace said. More to himself than to her, Clary could see tears brimming in his eyes, something Jace never did. Cry. But he seemed to by trying hard to stop himself from crying now.

"I said goodbye" Clary said in shame as she dropped her gaze to the ground. "Jace i thought he was going to die, he's six" she said, her voice slowly rising in anger. "He's a sweet six year old boy who wouldn't hurt anyone, and i said goodbye, i thought he was going to die" she repeated, more tears seeping down her cheeks. "I thought he was going to die" Clary said again, she was suddenly aware of how weak her knee's were and couldn't stop herself from sliding down to the ground. Crumpling to the ground shakily. Jace sat down beside her slowly. He seemed to be watching her closely but Clary refused to look at him, look at the hate that must of been plastered to his face, but when he spoke, his voice was soft, loving.

"Clary, you know when i woke up here, i thought i'd lost you both, the last thing i saw on your face was terror. You held our boy and i can't imagine how that must of felt. But it wasn't your fault-" his voice cracked again but he carried on anyway. "I've always loved you so much, but in that moment. I think your light burnt brighter than ever before, you know a famous man once said, fear is a factor of life, something you can't ignore, but are stupid to think you can. Fear shapes your future, determines the brave from weak. And i can honestly tell you, there's nobody i've ever met that's been braver than you, so if anyone can stick by Jake no matter what, it's you" Jace said and Clary could tell she was crying. He always seemed to choose the right words. And all she could find in return as she met his gaze was "always". He opened his mouth ready to speak again but before he could the door to the small cramped room opened and the female warlock who's name Clary couldn't remember popped her head into the door. A huge positive smile across her face. And then she said the two words Clary thought she'd never hear again.

"He's awake".

-----------------------------------

God i hate writing sad chapters like this guys xD i honestly nearly cried myself, I think i made myself love Jace even more

:o ik not possible right ;) hope you enjoyed, and like i would kill Jake off guys... Pffft. That kids a strong person :) hope you enjoyed and btw there will be a time skip soon. Ohhhh and the photo today is Ellie prior ;)

City of heavenly fire. The after storyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara