The worry begins (25)

Jace sat in jake's room as emma played with him, Clary had mentioned that he didn't feel well, but now it wasn't their son he was worried about, it was his wife and unborn baby. "Jace what do you think?" Emma said as she looked up at Jace expectantly. "Huh sorry what?" Jace asked as his gaze ripped from the door and focussed on Emma. "Jake wants to make a card for his mommy, to get well soon, we asked if you think it's a good idea or not?" She asked with an apologetic smile. "Umm yeah sure" he said with a waft of his hand as he rose from his chair and wondered towards the door lazily, "i'm gonna go see whats taking so long" he said before leaping out of the room and closing the door slowly behind him. In a temper fit Jace slammed into the opposite wall with his fists. Over and over until he felt a hand on his shoulder. Without turning he slumped to his knee's, knowing he was about ready to cry, but at the same time not wanting to show his weakness to everyone. "It's ok" Emma said as she slunk to the ground next to him. "Clary is the strongest person i know Jace, if anyone can pull through this it's her, and this is your's and her's baby were talking about here. I mean look at Jake, your family is pure fight" she said taking her hand off his shoulder and running it along her trouser leg.
"She lost so much blood" Jace said in a daze, Clary was the strongest person he knew but a fairy blade couldn't simply be fixed with an iratze, she was currently in surgery and no one could face seeing Jace and having to share their grief with him, after all how could they understand.

whilst Jace was fighting off the fairies he heard dresance cry out to him, he briskly turned just in time to see Clary crumple onto one knee, his first thought was that she was dying, but as he tried to near her, he saw her scream in pain as she pulled a nasty looking throwing knife out of her leg. Her leg!. He breathed in relief, if it was her leg it couldn't be that bad, but as he tried to near her he was swarmed with more fairies. Regaining his panic, and anger. Jace easily slashed through the remaining fairies without a wound that was deep. The only wounds he had gathered was small scratches and bruises where he had been hit with the butt of a blade, he called out to Clary but as he got closer to her. He could see that she was fighting to stay conscious. She spun round and began to finish the portal she had been drawing, Jace knew how much power drawing runes had on her and how much energy they could sap away, but before he could reach her she fell. Limp to the ground, her lips starting to turn blue like when she was cold in the lake, Jace's heart beat out of his chest as he screamed her name and then for izzy, who was helping simon limp towards the portal. When he saw Clary he picked up pace, Jace dove to the floor and lifted Clary's head carefully off the cold floor and rested it on his lap. He gripped at the top of her trousers and found a rip just above the thigh, he knew she loved them jeans and well she looked good in them but desperate times called for desperate measures. He ripped the material even more until the wound was clearly visible just above her thigh. The cut was deep and ran the whole way through her leg. Jace pressed a shaky hand to her leg to slow the bleeding but he knew he was going to have to lift her, if he didn't get her back soon she would loose to much blood, and then everything really would be his fault. He carefully lifted her as the others surrounded her. "I'll carry her" dresance said as he held out his arms. "Not a chance in hell" Jace said coldly as he looked over to a worried izzy and even more so simon. "Go through the portal me and dresance will wait until your through. Listen to me simon i want you to inform the clave that Clary is hurt and we need a warlock now!" He pleaded and all simon could do was nod. "Ok" simon said as he limped towards the portal........ About five minutes later Jace emerged through the other side of the portal. Carrying a limp and dead looking Clary. Her lips and face had drained of colour and even her hair looked less radiant. People surrounded them immediately and before Jace could complain, Clary was ripped from his grasp, he hadn't realised how tightly he had been holding her. And as soon as she was out of his arms he crashed to the floor. Rocking back and forth with his head in his hands. Leaving smears of Clary's blood on his face.

It wasn't a memory he liked to recall "it was my fault" Jace said as he turned to emma. "I let her go" he said as he did the most unexpected thing Jace could ever do, he smashed his face into emma's shoulder, and cried..