The secret (37)

Clary woke to sound of a bump and the familiar sound of two people. Two people's voices she would know anywhere.

"You idiot. If you had of woken either of them i swear-"

"You'll what? Stake me? I don't think that'll work these days"

"Simon i'm serious, do you want to wake either of them"

"No, no i don't, but i also don't think you should sit by her bed all night. You need sleep and besides, your holding this one wrong"

"What?" And then there was a lot of noise as if people having a scuffle without trying to wake something. She guessed that thing was her.

"There" simon said, his tone strong and amused.

"Simon, i have been a dad longer then you, i know how to hold a baby" Jace said. He sounded defiant and a little hurt.

"Yeah, but you act like a child sometimes, the only thing I can rely on you for is killing demons, well. And loving my best friend" he said. His voice getting soft and happy.

"Stop getting soppy" Jace said. Mimicking Clary's thoughts. Simon took in a breath as if to say something but Clary interrupted both of them.

"I hope you don't mind me trying to sleep here. And simon, what did you knock off?" Clary asked whilst sitting up in bed. She wore the sweetest smile she could but both boys glared at her.

"Simon woke you?" Jace asked and then turned to face simon.

"I said i'd kill you" Jace said whilst standing up, charlotte still wrapped peacefully in his arms.

"Actually" simon said whilst folding his legs on the chair he occupied the other side of Clary. "You never said you were going to kill me". And with that comment Jace scowled at him. And started to make his way forward.

"Stop it" Clary shouted. Her voice loud and firm. Both boys turned to face her.

"Give her here" Clary said just as firmly and Jace seemed to hesitate before he handed charlotte over.

"It's three in the morning, you should be asleep" Jace said with a scowl.

"Same for you" she said back sourly before turning to simon.

"Why are you still here?" As soon as she asked the question simon looked to Jace worriedly before turning back and looking at charlotte. Who was sleeping soundlessly in Clary's arms. Her little fingers flexing and un flexing at her sides.

"What? What is it?" Clary asked again and this time Jace cleared his throat.

"Well Luke arrived after you fell to sleep and wanted to wake you. But both me and simon thought it was a bad idea. And umm-" he said nervously whilst rubbing his neck. "He and your mom had some big news to tell us and well, we said we'd tell you as soon as you woke" he said. Carefully Avoiding Clary's actual question.

"What is it?" Clary asked with a frown.

"Your moms pregnant" Simon said from the corner of the room and Jace sent him a deadly glare.

"Your moms pregnant with Luke's baby" Jace said. As if she didn't hear it the first time. They looked at her like she would be upset or angry, but she was happy. Yes it was a shock, but she had always wanted a brother or sister. Of course a brother she would proffer but after sebastian she was quite happy to except a sister.

"Where is she" Clary asked. Her voice sounding wavy and shocked.

"She's staying in one of the institute rooms. There's going to be a ball next Saturday to give you plenty of time to recover. Your mom says she wants to do this one right" he said with a sweet smile. She could feel Charlotte wriggling in her grasp and looked down to see two beautiful honey gold eyes watching her fondly. She didn't seem to cry much, or make much noise at all but Clary suspected it was because she was so small.

"She's got my eyes" Jace said proudly and Clary felt herself smile.

"Lets hope she's brighter" Clary said teasingly and she could hear simon stifling a laugh from the corner and Jace turned on him viciously.

"Why are you still here mundane?" He asked nastily and Simons smile dropped.

"I'm not a- oh never mind, i have things to do anyway" he said whilst heading to the door, but not before Jace could shout after him.

"I hope you don't mean Isabelle"

And Clary stared at him disapprovingly, which he didn't seem to notice. Once simon was gone Jace sat down again in the seat he had originally occupied to the left of her bed.

"You need sleep" Jace said sternly and Clary sighed out loud. She looked down at charlotte who was sleeping again fitfully. Wrinkling up her small nose and clenching her fingers together into tiny fists.

"No i need to see my mom and charlotte needs to see her grandma" Clary said with a frown and then it was Jace's turn to sigh. He knew he couldn't win her on matters like this.

"Fine" he said with a wink. "You get half an hour and then i will be personally at your side whispering lullabies" he said with a smile. He looked down at charlotte who had stopped fidgeting and was lying peacefully in her mothers arms

"She's more comfy with you anyway" jace said ruefully. He needed to go check on Jake and Robyn anyway before he found Alec tied up in a cupboard again.

"I'll be half an hour" Clary reassured him with a smile.

"Half an hour" Jace repeated almost in a whisper. And Clary smiled at him as she climbed out of the bed, wearing grey shorts and a plain white t shirt she didn't remember getting into, and headed to the door. She sent one last look at Jace as she went. He looked so sweet and light in comparison to the dark infirmary room. He was all gold and light and she had to hide how much she was smiling, he was hers. And would always be.

---------------------------------------

Just a small filler chapter guys, but what i've got planned next should make up for it ;) stay awesome guys and don't forget to comment. I like the comments.