birthday boy (31)

This chapter is longer guys because it's been a while ;) have fun:

Jace woke to the familiar smell of food. it was a pleasent way to wake up and now one that he remembered as his own. Already knowing who was cooking it he slowly and with much effort pulled himself into a sitting position. He and Alec had taken simon on his first 'proper' demon hunting trip yesterday for the first time in six years and almost gotten him killed six times. although he'd never tell Clary that. In a way it was amusing how simon would panic under the pressure. He didn't have the grace of a shadow hunter at all. Jace carefully got to his feet and pulled clean jeans and a white short sleeved shirt out of their wardrobe and shrugged them on. Looking over at the clock he saw what time it was and sighed. Half six in the morning really wasn't a time he wanted to be woken up at, but he would do anything to see his radiant red head in the morning, so with a cheeky grin he slowly opened the door and ventured outside.

Clary flipped the eggs and sighed. She had never liked eggs but seeming as though it was her sons birthday she had agreed with Jace that she would make them both eggs for breakfast. She was also worried about Jace. He had taken simon on his first proper hunting trip the other night and he had come back home about two in the morning and collapsed into bed still in gear. Although he hadn't sustained any injuries she still let him sleep in this morning. It seemed to cruel to wake him. She was so lost in her own mind that she didn't hear the footsteps creeping up on her until strong arms were wrapping around her from behind. "Wow" said Jace in a cheeky tone "get any bigger and i wont be able to do this" he said nuzzling his face into the crook of her shoulder. "Wow" she said back, mimicking his tone. "Get any cheekier and i might just accidentally burn your eggs" and as soon as she said it she felt him tense against her. "Ok i'm sorry" he said as she spun around to face him. It was true she had a large bulge over her belly that actually made her proud . She was about six months and three weeks in and so far Jace had insisted on going everywhere with her 'just incase' he had said she went into labor like last time. It took a lot of persuading on both her side and Alec's to get Jace to go out last night and she hoped he was glad he had. "What do you think?" Jace asked and when he saw her confused expression he laughed. "Where do you go" he said almost to himself as he stroked her cheek with his thumb. Then he shook his head as if to clear the thought. "I said" he repeated "i'm going to get Jake up and we can do presents after breakfast, is that ok" Clary disentangled Jace from her waist and smiled at him. "If you can bear to be away from me that long" she said with a cheeky grin and instead of answering her he turned on his heel and walked back towards the stairs.

"Daddy!" Jake moaned as Jace stole one of his slices of toast off his plate. "What" Jace asked with a smile. "I was out of toast to dip in my eggs" and as soon as Jace said it Jake glared at him and then Clary. "Mommy" he said defensively and Clary sighed. They were both sat behind the kitchen counter eating egg soldiers and Clary couldn't help but smile. Jake looked just like his dad but instead of his golden eyes Jake had gotten her own emerald green and they shone now with tears as Jake looked at her pleadingly. "I tell you what Jake" she said leaning on the counter from the other side. "How about we make daddy wash up?" She asked with a smile and in the corner of her eye she saw Jace sigh and moan, "yeah!" Jake said eagerly as he got up off the stool which took some swinging as his legs didn't touch the floor and ran into the living room. "Cwan I open them nwow?" He asked as he tried to pick up a box. "Ok but mine first" Clary said as she slowly made her way into the living room and sat down on the floor across from him. Jace was the last one to saunter into the room and sit down next to Clary. As soon as he sat down he not too kindly pulled Clary onto his lap, Clary heard Jake snort. "Cwareful daddy you cwould hurt my brother" he said with a frown. Clary sighed, she had told him several times that the baby was going to be a girl but he just didn't understand. She thought of how upset he would be when he see's it was a girl.

"Ok" Clary said and pushed a small box towards Jake on the carpet. As soon as Jake had his hands on the box he tour into it. Watching him struggle to open the wrapping paper made Clary smile. In her eyes he would always be her little boy. As soon as he was in the box he squealed with joy. And after a moments hesitation pulled a small red steam train out. He was grinning like an idiot and his dad wore the same smile. "My turn" Jace said reaching around Clary and lifting her off his lap. He hadn't told Clary what he had gotten Jake for his birthday only that he wouldn't be able to use it until he was older. So she leant forward as Jace picked up a heavy looking parcel about the length of an arm. Instead of giving it to Jake Jace laid the box down in front of him and signalled for Jake to open it. With wide eyes Jake tour into the parcel and Clary leaned forward to try and see what was inside. As Jake opened the metal box that surrounded the present he gasped and stuck his arm into the box. He frowned when he couldn't pull out the object and with a laugh Jace slid his hand into the box and pulled out a sword. It was beautiful. With a gold hit and silver blade. With writing that ran the whole way along the blade reading: bello gesta est, per cor. Clary recognised the words as latin but couldn't quite translate them. As Jace held the sword up Clary could see that the pattern running along the sword was of herons. "The Herondale sword?" Clary asked with confusion. "I thought the herondales didn't have one?" She said and as soon as she did she saw Jace grin. At the hilt of the sword there was a green emerald. One the same green as Jake's eyes that shone radiantly. "We do now" Jace said as he placed the sword back into the box and closed it. "We have two" he said walking away and a couple of minutes later he returned with the same sword but a little longer in a sheathe. "What does the writing mean?" Clary asked in amazement as Jace slid the sword behind the sofa. "It's latin" he said as he turned to face her and Jake. " it means war is won through the heart" he said with a smile. "Does this mean i can help with missions?" Jake asked and when he did she saw Jace smile but before he could answer the door opened and a frantic Isabelle came in with rosy cheeks. Clary looked up at her but she wasn't smiling. Instead there were tear marks on her cheeks and she looked frantically at the scene in front of her. "Izz what the hell?" Jace asked as he started towards her. "It's dad" izz said and although she knew he wasn't Jace's farther she still called him their dad and Jace never tried to rectify her. "He was attacked" she said and she was almost panting now. "They don't think he's going to make it"..........