Works Like A Charm

Patrick

Life's been crazy for the past week or so. I became a three time Stanley cup champion, I'm getting married, I got to go on stage with Jimmy Buffet again and do some late night shows. It's been such a once in a lifetime experience and I'm so thankful for being able to do what I love with who I love most.

So to settle things down and take a second to see where we were I decided that Aaliyah and I would be having date night tonight. It's the last night my family is in town so they have Bella for the time being and for once it was just me and my girl.

I get all dolled up because all I've been wearing is Blackhawks stuff for the last few weeks. I style my hair so it looks nice and put on her favorite cologne. I grab my beautiful fiancé and pull her to our favorite restaurant to eat at here in Chicago. We get sat down and order our food before just talking.

"I got something for you" I start and she gives me the "you better not" look. "Don't worry, it's charms for your bracelet" I assure her. She hates when I give her stuff, but when it's for her bracelet she never minds.

"Fine" she sighs like she's upset about it, but we both knew she wasn't.

I pull out the charms and she holds out her wrist. She was starting to run out of room but honestly I might just get her another bracelet because we both like them so much and they hold so much meaning.

"Okay. The first one I got was two rings because... well that's pretty self explanatory. I cannot express how excited I am to marry you and how much this means to me. I never thought I would meet a decent girl who would love me, but now I have the best girl who loves me more than anything and that's pretty cool. Second one we have is a Stanley cup to remember arguably the best day of our lives. And usually I hate that there's cameras everywhere, but I'm so happy we get to relive that night over and over again. The third one is from Bella and it says #1 mom" I explain as she giggles.

"I have to say, my most favorite thing in the world is this bracelet. I always look at it and see what all we've been though, I see how far we've come and wonder what lies ahead of us that will fill the bracelet up and my heart up" she explains.

"Well I'm going to have to get you a new bracelet to add on more stuff and go on new adventures" I insist.

"It's not a new adventure if we go to Hawaii every time" she teases and I laugh.

"Alright alright, we can go somewhere else. But I want Hawaii at least once this summer. We get to take Bella and she can play in the ocean. Plus she would be too cute in a hula skirt" I insist.

"Listen to yourself" she smiles. "Playing the toughest sport in the world taking about your adopted daughter in a hula skirt."

"You're the only person who sees me as sweet or sensitive or thoughtful so I don't mind being so vulnerable around you. Around just about anyone else... I don't think I could open up if I wanted to" I claim.

"It's crazy how our souls choose who we want to be around and who we don't. I mean I've had friends and boyfriends before, but no one I connected with. No one who made me forget about everyone else. From the first moment we met I knew that you were going to be the one. I didn't understand how we would come to happen or when, but I knew I couldn't live without you. The way you looked at me, like I wasn't just another girl in that room, like I was the only girl in that room. I'll never forget that feeling, how my heart was beating so hard and how I couldn't keep my eyes off you either. And I thought I knew you before then, I've followed your whole career, never missed a game. But then I got to know you, got to see your beautiful soul and I had never loved such a concept before.

And now look at us" she says.

"Look at us. We should probably be thinking about planning a wedding right now" I admit making her laugh.

"I don't even know where to start. I was at my parents wedding and it was beautiful, but I don't want all of that. Not a big church or the worlds largest wedding dress. Honestly it could be just you and me and our family I would be happy. But I think our relationship deserves a little more than that" she admits.

"We've been through some stuff huh" I chuckle.

"That we have. But I would go through all the bad times again just to be with you" she claims.

"Really. All of it" I ask.

"Through every tear and every time I yelled. From the times I questioned my decisions to the times I didn't want to go on anymore. I will chose you every single time" she promises.

"You're seriously the most incredible person I've ever met, you know that" I ask.

"So you keep telling me" she smirks.

"I'm serious! I don't know what I would do without you. Probably be lonely forever" I admit.

"There's plenty of girls who want to be with you" she accuses.

"Yeah. And I've been in one serious relationship in my entire life and now we're getting married" I say and she laughs.

"Life works in mysterious ways" she claims.

"It does. And I'm so happy that it decided I was good enough to have someone like you" I smile.

After dinner we go for a carriage ride around the city. It was hard for us to walk around the city nowadays, everyone knows who we are and while Aaliyah had the secret service people it's just easier to go under the radar. So we get in the covered carriage and open the window so we can look out. I sit with my arms around the thing I care about the most and we just enjoy this beautiful city we call home.

"This truly is the best city in the world" I insist.

"I have to agree with you there" she admits.

"Wanna know the best part of this city" I ask.

"I swear to god if you say it's me I'm jumping out of this carriage" she threatens and I laugh.

"That's a bit harsh ain't it" I tease.

"Just trying to get my point across" she jokes.

"It's still you" I say. She tries to get out of my grasp and I pull her back in. She acts like she's going to jump out but I keep her with me. "Where do you think you're going" I ask as she giggles.

"Away from you" she claims.

"Nope" I insist as I pull her into my chest. "You're mine forever" I say.

"Good" she smiles.

"Good."