Getting Along

Patrick

I have never in my life had to take care of a newborn child before. Ever. I never changed a diaper or given a baby a bath. When my sisters were little they were well taken care of. We had nanny and my mom would be home most of the time unless she's at a tournament with me so I never had to take care of a little baby. But now I don't have a choice because someone thought that it was Aaliyah's duty to be a mother and not themselves.

But she doesn't care that this isn't her baby, she loves the baby more than anything she's ever been given. She won't let her out of her sight and she bought everything that baby needs and more. I mean, the baby lives better than most of the people in the city. I'm not sure if it knows what's happening, if she realizes her real mom is gone or not. She doesn't really do much, only cries when she needs something and sleeps through the night. It was actually pretty nice considering how some babies are. She wasn't hard to take care of, I actually kind of enjoyed it but it's all so new to me.

And after a while she started to grow on me. I was opposed to this at first, the last thing I needed right now was a baby to take care of, but after having to spend some time with her I realize this isn't a burden. It's a gift, a really cute and really small gift.

Early this morning I go into the babies room and check up on her. Usually Aaliyah was in here but she wasn't up yet and I wanted to make sure she was okay so I came to see her. When I find her she is awake in her crib staring at the toys above her. She reaches out for them making them jingle and her eyes get so big. She was a curious little thing, that's for sure. I carefully pick her up so I don't hurt her and hold her against my chest. She smiles when she sees it's me and I smile back. As far as babies go she's a pretty good one.

"Good morning little one" I say and she smiles even bigger. She didn't have any teeth yet but she still smiles a lot. Like all of the time.

I take her and get her diaper changed before pulling her into one of the millions of onesies with a tutu Aaliyah got for her. I'm serious, this baby has it so good. After she was ready for the day I take her downstairs and see Aaliyah making coffee. I walk over to her and giver her a kiss. She kisses me back then places a soft kiss on the babies forehead.

"Nice to see you two getting along" she jokes and I laugh.

"I've grown quite fond of this tiny human being. She doesn't give me sass or sarcasm like someone else I know" I tease.

"Oh just you wait" she assures me.

"So what's on tap for today" I wonder.

"I was going to head on over to the agency to finish Bella's paperwork then pick up some lunch. What do you want" she asks.

"Pizza" I claim and she smirks.

"Of course you want pizza" she accuses.

"Are you taking the baby with you" I wonder.

"If you want me to" she assures me.

"I actually want to keep her today. She keeps my mind off my shoulder and my mom wants some more pictures" I admit.

"Okay. I'll be back in less than two hours with our adoption papers and food. I love you" she says as she pulls me into another kiss.

"I love you too, Little Skater."

So she goes off to be the adult in our relationship and I hang out with the baby. I feed her formula and take some pictures for my family since they haven't stopped asking for them.

Not a lot of people know about Bella. We wanted some time to pass before announcing this so her dad doesn't put two and two together and start stuff up with the mom or do something to hurt Bella. So we're keeping it on the down low and only our families and the people who need to know do. But I'm collecting all the pictures for when we announce that she's here and I can show everyone just how cute she is.

After breakfast we do tummy time then I just hold her in my arms. I was afraid to let her go because she's so small, but I also feel like I'm going to crush her if I hold on too tight. But I couldn't let her go, not even if I tried. I don't get how her mom let her go. Whatever was happening had to have been awful to give up on a baby, especially one as sweet as our little Bella is. She smiles every time she sees someone and she even has a little laugh. Although I was way against this at first, I couldn't imagine giving this little girl up. No one could pay me enough money too.

I wanted to make sure she was safe and that she was happy. I can't wait to show her to my family and bring her to games. Then when she's old enough she can be at the glass and bang on it holding up a sign like the other kids.

Eventually I get so comfortable with her that we both fall asleep on the couch with her being on my chest. I wake up and I see Aaliyah right next to me taking pictures.

"What are you doing" I mumble as I wipe the sleep out of my eyes.

"Sending these to your sisters because they wouldn't believe me if I just told them what I came home to" she claims and I laugh.

"Is she still asleep" I wonder as I try not to move in case she was.

"No. She was just watching you sleep with the most lovey eyes. It honestly was the cutest thing ever" she claims as she shows me the picture. I smile big when I see it.

"Please send that to me" I beg.

"Done" she assures me.

She picks up Bella and I roll off the couch. I join them in the kitchen as she makes is some plates for lunch.

"So you nervous for your doctors appointment tomorrow" she wonders and I sigh.

"A little. I feel good so I should be able to return to practice in a no contact jersey. I just don't want to get my hopes up but at the same time if I don't get to come back to practice soon I'm gonna lose my mind" I admit.

"You'll be fine ya big baby" she teases.

"I'm not a baby. That's a baby" I say pointing to Bella. She lets out a laugh and I just smile. How precious is she?