Someday

Patrick

One year ago I went to the White House not even knowing my life was about to change. I remember getting up that morning so excited to see the president and hear what he had to say about us. I couldn't wait to see him again and have the chance to talk to him. I took so many pictures of the place to remember the moments I had in our great nations capital. I didn't even know that the most important moment that would happen to me that day wouldn't need to be captured on camera. I wouldn't forget that face even if I lost all my memories. She's etched in my brain and from the moment her eyes met mine I just knew she was the best thing for me.

One year ago I met the woman of my dreams. A woman beyond my wildest dreams, really. A beautiful, intelligent, hockey loving girl who was a fan of me as a person and as a player. She saw things in me that I never imagined. She made me stronger, she's made me better and what has been a up and down 365 days, she's been there every step of the way. She's been my rock, my shoulder to cry on, my voice of reason and it makes me feel like the luckiest man in the world. To be able to learn from her for the past year has been such a privilege, and I couldn't wait to see what awaits us in the future.

But tonight I wanted to do something special. It's been so crazy with her getting MAC started up and me with hockey that I feel like I don't see her anymore. I mean I do, but not nearly as much as I would want. I wanted more than anything to be with her and nothing was going to stop me tonight.

So I pull on my good tan sweater and a pair of jeans. I make my hair extra curly and add enough cologne that it's not over bearing but still smells good for a long time. I brush my teeth once more before leaving the master bathroom. I find Aaliyah in the main bathroom fixing her hair up. There was so much of it it usually took her a while to get it to cooperate. But it was always beautiful to me no matter how she wore it.

We go to our favorite restaurant and get our usual table by the water. We order our food and just talk about how crazy this year has been.

"I can't believe it's been one year since we met" she admits.

"One of our forever" I insist and she smiles.

"What do you know about our forever" she asks and I stop. We've never talked about our future, just always assumed that it was going to be there for us however it was presented. I was thankful to have a present with her let alone a future.

"I don't know, what do you want to know" I try as she smirks at me.

"I'm not telling you because you're just going to agree with whatever I say. I could say I want a million kids and you would say hell yes let's get started. But that doesn't tell me what you want from our forever. I want to know what you want, not what I want" she claims. Sometimes it sucks that she's so freaking smart.

"Fine" I huff as she smiles to herself. It's not very often I tell her no. "I think we should keep going steady for a little while. I think we're in a good place and there's no need to rush into things.

But eventually I think we should get a house so you can rescue as many animals as you want. I see you put them in MAC and feed them and keep them warm. I know you want to keep them so we can make a place to keep them.

Then one day our fur babies can turn into real ones. We can get married and move to Hawaii where we're so far away from everything. We can grow there like your dad did and just be a family. Not the presidents daughter or a hockey player. Just... us" I say.

"That's beautiful Patrick" she smiles. And real good smile too.

"What about you? I told you my fantasy now you tell me yours" I insist.

"Okay, I can do that" she says as she sets her drink down. "I want two point five kids and a nice house" she starts making me laugh.

"I'm serious" I beg.

"Alright alright.

I don't care how many kids, I just want at least one of each. I do want to take in all the animals and I hate that you already know that I'm going to be smuggling them into the house. I want to live here a little while longer but I long for the days that the kids are off living their own and MAC is in the hands of the people of Chicago. You're now a legend in the hockey community but you've already won five cups as a player and five as a manager so we're pretty satisfied. We can sit by the ocean like we did that night where we confessed our love to each other and have that same feeling. That same beautiful feeling" she insists.

I reach across the table and grab her hand. I hold it in mine so tight so that I could never let it go.

"I kinda want to start right now" I admit as she smiles.

"I appreciate that, but my dad was created on accident and so was I, I'm not trying to make this a family thing" she begs.

"Alright alright. Then when do you think is a good time to settle down. Probably start with getting a house" I insist.

"I'm down for that whenever. As long as it's already ready to move into because I can't stand the thought of designing another room" she claims and I smile.

"We can have my sister do that" I say and she smiles.

"Okay. Then what" she wonders.

"I would really like to marry you. You know, someday" I promise.

"I would like that... someday" she replies.