Day With Dad

Aaliyah

As it gets closer and closer to Christmas my dad gets more and more time at home. And I love my father, he's a great man and he's a great leader. But sometimes I just want my dad around for more than a few stolen moments. And finally I have him here with me and we can hang out. Although Christmas was right around the corner and most of the things we do for Christmas had passed there was still some holiday magic in his presidential hands of his.

"So what do you want to do today" he wonders and I shrug.

"I don't even know. Where do we start" I wonder. I feel like we've already missed so many parts of each other's life's it's hard to pick up where we left off.

"Why don't we go and pick out a Christmas tree" he suggests and I smile big. I refused to do anything with the tree until he was home again and I'm really happy I did.

"I would love to" I admit.

So we head out and find a nice tree farm. We stay bundled up and walk around picking out the perfect one. We wouldn't have to decorate it because we have people who do that professionally, but we like to pick it and see it up in the house.

"So what's new in your life" he asks trying to start up a friendly conversation and I just shrug.

"Nothing much really. Just trying to get through the holidays" I admit.

"What about you and Patrick, what's going on there" he asks and I stop. My face gets warm as I try to hide my smile.

"What do you know about that" I question.

"Not a lot. Your mom won't say much because she's worried you'll stop telling her these things if you knew she told me. But I know enough" he claims.

"Like what" I quiz.

"I know that you guys talk every day. I know you haven't missed a second of one of his games and you stay up to tell him he did good after every game. I know you want to go back to Chicago to be closer to him" he admits.

"So what didn't she tell you" I tease and he laughs.

"I guess she's pretty detailed. But she really wants you to be happy. And if you think this boy is what makes you happy then why not take the chance" he asks.

"Remember when you and mom met and you guys wouldn't date for the betterment of both of your futures" I ask and he smiles.

"Not exactly. She didn't want to date me because we were the only two people in the law firm that were black and she was my boss. We just didn't want to be a stereotype, a expected event" he defends.

"And I don't want to be the bad guy and the good girl. The NHL's wild child and the presidents daughter. I just want it to be me and him and I can never have that" I explain.

"You can't let these labels get to you. Because even though it was annoying that we were the only black people in our law firm and we were dating, it's not as annoying as us trying to act like we don't care for each other. That we weren't supposed to be together. Do you care for this boy" he questions.

"Yes, of course I do. But I'm here and he's there. He's so care free and I'm on a schedule. He's a night out on the town and I'm a night in bed watching movies. It just doesn't add up" I claim.

"Baby, that stuff doesn't matter. You're the presidents daughter but this is your life too. You have a degree, you can live on your own and I'll be supporting you the whole way. If you're not happy here I'm not going to force you to stay" he says.

"I don't want to leave because I love helping out you and mom with presidential stuff and I want to be around for my sisters" I start.

"But.." he trails off.

"But I miss home. I miss going to hockey games and football games and seeing my friends. I miss the cold winters and hot summers and everything in between. Chicago's home to me and I feel like I haven't been able to be there in forever" I admit.

"Then you can go" he assures me.

"When would I see you? I mean I just got you back, I don't want to leave" I insist.

"I'm always going to be here for you. I might be the president but way before this started and way after this is over I'm your father. And nothing is higher than that. You are my first born, the light of my life, and I'll always find my way back to you. I promise. But you're 25 now, it's time you take control of your life. And if you're not ready you can always be here and be babied as much as you would like" he promises.

"You're a great President, but you're a more incredible father. You know that right" I ask.

"I do have a "#1 Dad" coffee mug that agrees with this statement" he smirks.

"There might be a "#1 Dad" shirt you get for Christmas too that further proves you right" I joke as he laughs that great laugh at me. I never knew what to get him for Christmas, I mean the man has seen it all. But he loved the homemade stuff we get him because he can't get it anywhere else.

"I will love it" he assures me.

"Good" I smile.

We pick out a tree and get it back to the White House. We help the people decorate and eventually my sisters and mom join us. My dad tries to make sure he spends time with us and mom and we get one on one time too. He was a great family man and he never let this job take that away from him. Every chance be gets he involved us and he makes sure we're happy and safe. But it's still hard to share your dad with the hundreds of million of people in America and of course all the big names people around the world. He's always needed someplace to do something but he knows when he's needed back home. We've been doing this for five years now and we've got it down pretty good. We've had our ups and downs but I think we're in a good place now.

"I'm so happy I got to spend the day with you" my dad says.

"I am too. I've really missed you" I admit.

"I've missed you too my sweet princess" he smiles.