Chapter Sixteen: Where's Luke?

Luke's POV

  I stepped off the plane, inhaling the cool air and exhaling slowly. I felt bad for sneaking away in the middle of the night, but I knew Annie would have talked me back out of coming back to New Jersey. The pieces of my life were falling into place slowly, and I needed Becca now more than ever to help me understand it all. I hailed a taxi and told the driver my address.

  When we pulled up in front of my lavish apartment building I thanked him, and paid him. I stared up at the building for a while, and glanced at my watch. It was after two a.m. so I wasn't really expecting Becca to be awake, but a small glow came from her room so I decided to take a chance.

  I made my way up the stairs, and raised my hand to knock. Her door pushed open giving a sickening creaky noise as it did, I frowned finding it odd that she would leave her door unlocked, much less opened. " Becca?" I called out, cautiously taking a step inside her apartment. The light was coming from her bedroom, so I made my way slowly down the hall.

   " Becca?'' I called a little louder this time. Still no answer, I pushed open her bedroom door and looked around. My eyes landed on a man sitting quietly in the corner, he looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place who he was.

  " Hello Luke. I was expecting Becca, but this is even better." He said, giving me a toothy grin. I grimaced taking a step back. I still couldn't remember who he was, but I had a sinking feeling I was about to find out. He rose slowly from his perch, and that's when I saw the glint of silver flash in the light.

  " Now, if you follow my instructions I might let you live understand?" I did the only thing I knew to do, and that was nod. " Now I have knowledge that you own these buildings, I also have knowledge that you live right upstairs, correct?''

  " Yes." I said, watching the gun intently.

  " Ok, well I want you to show me to your apartment. We're gonna have a little fun." He said, giving me and evil grin. I walked stiffly out of Becca's apartment, praying the entire way that she wouldn't show up, and that when she did God would protect her because I wasn't sure I would make it out of this.

******

Becca's POV

  I yawned for the hundredth time since arriving at Rick's party, I was tired for one and also just plain bored. Things like this would normally entertain me, but I had a new outlook on life and partying wasn't really one of them. I looked at my watch surprised to find it was already almost three a.m. Time to make my escape.

  I found Rick and thanked him for inviting me, he pouted a bit until a big breasted blond walked by and then he was back to his usual self. I laughed, and walked out the door. Most of our co-workers had made an appearance, I remembered seeing Will and Holly earlier, but they had called it a night early. Tuck had even been by, and I had avoided him like the plague.

  Rick's apartment wasn't far from mine, so I decided to walk. I wrapped my jacket around me tightly, and made my walk as brisk as I could. I walked up the step to my apartment and unlocked the door, flipping on my light as I walked in. I made my way into the bedroom, noticing my lamp was on, funny I didn't remember leaving it on earlier.

  I yawned again, brushing it off. I stripped and changed into my warm flannel pink pajamas, it was then that I noticed my cell phone lying on my nightstand. I sighed, man I thought it had been in my purse all along. I unlocked the screen and saw I had six missed calls, all from Annie's home number. The last call had come in about twenty minutes ago, my heart started to speed up, oh no was something wrong with Luke?

  I hit the dial button, and held my breath until she picked up. " Becca?" Came Annie's shrill frightened voice.

  " Yeah, it's me what's wrong, where's Luke?" I asked, my heart sinking.