Chapter Twelve: Talk About Leaving

Luke's POV

   I watched the door close behind Dr. Kramer, and laid back on my pillows sighing with relief. After two and a half months in the hospital he'd agreed to release me. I would be going home tomorrow, a sudden surge of panic hit me. What would I do once I was released? I couldn't just go back to New Jersey and resume practicing at the law firm, I knew the aspects of being a lawyer but still had no clue what I was doing.

   A gentle knock on my door disturbed my my scary thoughts, " Come in." I said, suddenly alert. The door opened slowly, and in stepped a beautiful woman. Her dark hair cut short, and her ice blue eyes so much like my own glimmered with un-shed tears, her skin was a pale creamy white, all in all she looked very angelic.

   " Hi, Luke." She said, voice as soft as her lovely features. My heart skipped, I know her!

  " Annie?" I asked tentatively. Her mouth splits in a huge grin.

   " Do you, really remember me?" Her soft voice asked, I contemplated her question for a moment and shut my eyes. Visions of a small girl with long dark hair flashed in front of my eyes, then she changed into a young teenager, and then I see her laying in a hospital bed, no hair at all and looking very sickly. I can feel the sting of tears behind my eyes.

  " Yes, yes Annie I do remember." I replied gruffly. This small fragile woman, who could really pass for my twin was my little sister, my little sister that I had always protected and loved no matter what. She rushed to my side, smiling with relief and threw her arms around my neck.

   " Oh Luke, I wanted to come as soon as I heard. I hope you understand." She said, I couldn't see her face but I knew she was crying by the sound of her voice. I smoothed her short hair, and made every attempt possible to soothe her worries.

  " Yes I know, Becca told me." She stepped back, and sat on my bed wiping her tears away as she did.

  " So, what do you remember big brother?" She asked smiling that beautiful, affection filled smile that only Annie could do. I shrugged, and looked into the same familiar eyes as my own.

  " Not much, I feel like an invalid some days, but then there are days like today when I feel I may actually remember my life eventually." Annie's frowned.

  " So you don't remember Becca?" she asked confusion present on her face?

  " Nope, not a thing. I wish I did though, but let me tell you she has been a great help with everything that's been going on. I just hope I'm not burdening her or anything." I said, running a hand through my hair.

  " You mean you actually want to get along with Becca?" Again I sensed confusion in Annie's voice, I just didn't understand why.

  " I mean yeah, why wouldn't I?" I asked bewildered.

  " It's just, well you two never got along when we were growing up! She was always trying to find things out about you to tease you, and you were just plain mean to her sometimes! I'm sorry I probably should have kept that to myself, but I don't know if I can get use to you two being civil to one another. Well civil and actually meaning it, and not just faking..."

   Her voice trailed off, I stared hard at her, not fully comprehending where she was going with this. It almost sounded like she was accusing me and Becca of being in a, what fake relationship? Why, what kind of person could actually do something like that? Her voice interrupted my thoughts.

  " Oops. You see I sometimes have this bad tendency to..."

  " Run off at the mouth." I finished for her, not even trying to make it sound like a question. I loved my sister, but sometimes she was so honest that it hurt.