Chapter Eight: Annie's Wish

Luke's POV

My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly as we pulled into Annie and Alex's driveway, I could feel the discomfort in the car all the way to my bones, and it reminded me of just how slick my sick sister was. Somehow as messed up as it may sound, I sort of prayed her condition would disrupt her judgment. Because if it didn't Becca and I would have a lot of explaining to do!

" Well we're here." I said, cutting the engine.

" Wow, way to state the obvious." Came Becca's condescending voice. Okay I knew she was pissed, I also knew she had every right to be, but this was my sister and I couldn't lose face in front of her. As if reading my mind Becca's next words held some small reassurance.

" Don't worry I think we've learned how to play our part over the last three months sweetie." She gave me, what I knew was a fake grin. To anyone else it looked as though we were sharing some happy, private moment.

I sighed, " Thanks Becs." I said, stepping out of the car. Alex met us at the door, I hugged my brother-in-law. " Alex! How's married life? No wait I don't think I want to know. How's Annie?" I asked softly, noticing the dark circles under Alex's eyes for the first time.

" She's as good as she can be I guess, considering she's been cooped up in the hospital with no physical contact for the last five weeks." Becca stepped from behind me, throwing her arms around Alex.

" I can't wait to see her! So after she get done with all this how long will it be before she gets to come home?" Alex sighed, looking even more tired, and haggard.

" That's the worst part, she'll have to spend another four weeks in isolation to make sure her body accepts the marrow, and to ensure she doesn't get sick." His bloodshot eyes met mine, they held a disturbing haunted look.

" Do you think she's strong enough to undergo all this?" I asked, feeling a sense of panic rising in my chest. Alex's smile helped reassure she would be okay.

" It's not her that's been having the problem adjusting." He said, and shuddered. Becca put her small hand on his arm, looking as concerned as I felt.

" What do you mean Alex?" She asked softly, I watched her in awe. She was so beautiful, and even more so when she got like this. This caring and gentle side of her was not something that had been shown to me often. I heard Alex sniffle, and turned my attention back to him, and the issue at hand.

I was surprised to see tears in his eyes, and his voice shook a bit when he finally told us the problem. " It's me. I can't eat, can't sleep, I'm going crazy being alone in this house. Even when I'm at work I can't concentrate, my other half is missing!" He wailed in agony.

I couldn't help the small snicker that escaped from me, Becca shot me a death glare. " Shh... It's okay Alex, you can't help that your a kind soul, that just happens to know how to show his true feelings for the woman he loves." She said these words all the while looking at me.

I gave another snort, " What about my sister? I'm sure it's not all cake and ice cream from where she's at either." Alex looked at me in confusion, tears gleaming on his cheeks. But my gaze stayed on the woman in front of me.

 Alex forgotten, she looked at me head on." Oh yeah, I bet your right. Because let's face Annie has always been the stronger one in your family." She said with just a hint of malice, and not to metion she was right in my face now!

" Oh yeah?" I said, a little louder than intended and moved my face even closer to hers.

" Oh yeah! You know it!" We were nearly nose to nose, our breathing labored. I wanted nothing more than to kiss her, and I could tell by the look on her face that, that was what she wanted as well.