Chapter Fifteen: Someone New

Becca's POV

   I looked around my apartment, the place I use to call my sanctuary from Luke was no longer the case. It was just one more barrier to keep me away from him, my heart broke again at just the thought of him. I know it may seem a cliche' thing to say, but I guess that's what happens when your in love. I walked into my bedroom and started unpacking, whether I liked it or not reality had set in, I was home, and it was time to put away my clothes along with my sad thoughts.

   I wouldn't be returning to work until Monday, which left me the entire weekend to sit around and mope. I did however have to make some sort of appearance at work tomorrow, just to let my boss Will know I was back in town and to get reassigned to someone else. My heart clenched at the thought of that, so many nights Luke and I had spent together going over depositions with one another, now that time would be spent with someone new.

  I guess the old saying ' You don't know what you had until it becomes a memory' is true. I finished putting my clothes away, and walked into my kitchen to make a cup of chamomile tea. I needed something to soothe me after the long flight, and all of the stress I was feeling. I took my tea into the bathroom and ran a bubble bath.

  Lavender and Jasmine filled the air relaxing me immediately. I slipped into the luxurious bubbles, and felt my stress ebbing away. I took a sip from my hot tea, ah, yes this was just what I needed. Somewhere between the tea and the bath I must have dozed off, because I awoke to me sloshing cool water onto the tile of my bathroom floor. I looked around dazed and confused, and was reminded of why I'd even woke up. My cell phone was blaring from my purse, which sat perched on the vanity.

  I rose from the tub, and wrapped my towel around me. My phone had stopped ringing, but started back up as I was digging for it. I didn't even bother looking at the caller I.D. how dare this person for one being so pushy that they kept calling, and two interrupting the best sleep I'd had in a while.

  " Hello?" I snapped angrily.

  " Becca?" Came his soft, deep, confused voice. All my anger dissipated, of course why didn't I think of Luke calling me? Because I was hurting and lonely and the bath and the tea helped all that go away, even if it had only been temporarily.

  " Luke, sorry I was uh... I just woke up." I explained, grabbing my tea mug and walking into my bedroom. I slipped into my big pink fluffy robe and set off into the kitchen. " What's up?"

  " Nothing, you just had me worried. This is like the seventh time I've tried to call you and got no answer. I thought maybe some person at the airport picked you up, and wouldn't let you go." He said all this in a sort of joking manner, but I could tell that he was upset that I hadn't called to let him know that I'd made it back to New Jersey safely.

  " Sorry, I know I should have called..." I apologized in a quiet voice.

  " Why didn't you?" He asked in just as quiet of a voice. My heart squeezed, and I sighed might as well be honest Becca.

  " I couldn't bare to hear your voice once I landed. I know seems harsh huh?" He chuckled.

  " Sort of, but I guess I can understand why." Did he? Did he honestly know how hard the next few months were going to be without him here by my side. I closed my eyes wishing he would just regain all of his memories, so that he could come back to work and be with me here. Then I felt guilty for even wishing for such selfish things.

  " You there Bec's?" He asked softly.

  " Yeah, my mind just has no filter tonight. I was in the bath when you called, that's why I didn't answer the phone."