Epilogue Part 1: Three Years Down A Lifetime To Go

Becca's POV

~3 Years Later~

     " I was hoping you'd be home for dinner.'' I whined into the phone, it was the third night that Luke had called to say he would be working late due to a case that was going to court next week.

   " I know baby, but I promise after next week I'm all yours for two weeks solid.'' I let out a small groan to show my annoyance at the situation.

  " Fine, but don't expect me to wait up on you. I have a doctors appointment in the morning, oh and I forgot to tell you I asked Janie to fill in for me for the next three weeks.'' Janie was my secretary, an older woman with a beautiful soul.

  " Why?'' Luke grumbled, it wasn't that he didn't like Janie he just complained that she didn't get things done as fast as I did. But to be honest the past several weeks I had been tired and drug down, and my work was suffering from it badly.

  " I just need this extra time before we go on vacation, I have been so wore out lately that I decided to take a longer break. Besides I've been putting most of the work load on Janie anyway, so this works out anyway." He let out a small huff.

  " I still wish you would have told me.'' I sighed.

  " I tried, but you've been so busy that I didn't want to burden you. Janie is perfectly capable of keeping up the workload for one extra week.'' Silence, then what sounds like a yawn.

  " Yeah I guess, hey listen Rick's back from his break I'll call you when I'm on my way home.'' I start to say goodbye and I love you, when my phone beeps indicating that he's already hung up. I throw my phone in the passenger seat angrily. I know that this week has been particularly hard on him, this was a huge case that could actually make or break his small law firm. It just hurt to be placed in third, I know God is still his number one, and I know that up until this case I was number two, but now I wasn't so sure.

  I pulled around the paved drive and into the open garage, our house was a beautiful contemporary two story farm house. Luke had chosen the design and I had no reason to change anything, it had been built from his beautiful mind. I stepped out of my Range Rover, and instead of going inside the house I walked out of the garage and up the pathway toward the front of our house.

  A small flower bed was placed in our front yard, along with a bench. It reminded me of Annie's flower garden, a place where I found peace and comfort. Now I had my own place of comfort and peace, I sat down on the bench and inhaled the scent of sweet summertime.

 I leaned over the side of my bench to smell the freshly bloomed roses, sweet as honey. I straightened up, and looked up at the bright blue sky, small white clods filtered the sky. I closed my eyes and let the sun shine down on me warming my skin. " Thank you Lord for this beautiful day.'' I breathed into the small breeze that ruffled my hair softly.

  It was moments like this that made me realize just how blessed I have been, even through my struggles God has always been there. He knows my heart better than anyone, He wraps his arms around me and protects me when my heart is at it's weakest, He know when I'm hurting and just what to do. And today was no different.

  I pulled my feet up beside me and curled up on my bench, I never intended to fall asleep, but somewhere between the warm sun and birds chirping I did. It wasn't until I felt a warm hand on my shoulder that I opened my eyes. " You must have been exhausted to have fallen asleep out here.'' Luke's silky voice finds itself to my heart and wraps it around it tenderly.

  " Yeah, I guess I was.'' I say, rubbing my eyes and sitting up. It's still daylight, I glance at my watch and I've only been asleep for about an hour. I look up at him confused, " Weren't you suppose to be working late?'' He smiles his sexy smile, and moves to sit beside me. He puts his arm across the back of the bench and squeezes my shoulder.