Chapter Thirteen: The Words I Long to Hear

Luke's POV

   The words hung between us like a dark cloud, I heard her sharp intake of breath and knew I had hurt her feelings. " Well I guess that's settled then." She said stiffly rising from her perch. I couldn't bare to look up into her green eyes. I hated knowing I'd hurt her, but I couldn't live with myself if all she had for me was pity.

   The door closed with what seemed like a final click, and along with it took my heart. I laid in the darkness feeling more alone than ever. She had promised to go to church with me, of course I honestly had never thought to ask when she would need to go back to work.

  I was already a lawyer so it didn't matter how long I needed to be off to recover, but part of me understood that she needed to get back so she wouldn't lose her internship. I just needed her, I wasn't sure why but I could feel the need for her.

  The question was how could I tell her that without just having her pity, I couldn't ask her to give up everything for me when I wasn't even sure about my own future. And well what about the things I had or had not done to her in the past, I couldn't remember and nobody was offering any insight.

  I wished I could tell her that just hearing her nae made my heart go wild, and just the sight of her, and her smell made me crazy. I don't know about before, but I knew one thing for sure now I was falling in love with Becca Hughs hard and fast!

Becca's POV

  It took everything in me to walk down the stairs, Annie and Alex were cuddling on the couch. Great, I felt like an intruder now. I couldn't really go back upstairs, but then again I didn't want to interrupt what obviously was a romantic moment for them. So I walked quietly out the back door, and down the path to Annie's beautiful garden.

  I hadn't thought I had been upstairs as long as I had, but the Miller's had left, and I assumed the kitchen was probably back to near perfection since Annie and Alex were cozy together. I sat down heavily on the bench, what was I going to do? I put my head in my hands and leaned forward on my knees.

  I wanted to be with Luke, but could I really risk my heart? I mean if he were to remember and then decided that he didn't love me or need me, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I looked up, and saw a small blue butterfly whispering through the air. It came to land on one of the red roses that was close to me.

  The contrast of the pale blue butterfly against the bright red rose was shocking. It sort of reminded me of our lives at the moment, maybe Luke wasn't the only one changing. I had become tamed down a lot in the past few months.

  I sighed, it was only Tuesday. I just had to make it to Thursday, once I was on a plane heading to New Jersey I would let go. For now I would have to make the best of it, and maybe just maybe learn how to heal the hurt in my heart.

*****

   " Hey I was looking for you!" Annie said the moment I walked through the door. She was all serious and concerned now, far from the happy mood she'd been in thirty minutes ago.

  " I'm good, I just went out back to sit in your beautiful flower garden. I wanted to give you guys some alone time, and well Luke needed to rest." I brushed it off with a smile, as if to say no big deal. She looked at me skeptically, before nodding.

  " Alex and I were fixing to go to bed, I could make up the other room for you if you want?" I contemplated this, before shaking my head.

  " There's no use, as long as you don't mind me taking up your couch for a few hours each night until Thursday!" She smiled.

  " I don't mind, but it wouldn't be any trouble to make up the other room for you." She yawned, and it was contagious for I did too.

  " Maybe tomorrow, I'm just gonna go grab some pajamas, I'm too exhausted to fix u a big bed." We both laughed at how old we suddenly sounded, well at least I sounded younger than I felt I thought. I felt old and world weary.