Chapter One: The Internship

Becca's POV

I was cold, tired, and soaked to the bone! But I was somehow still alive, standing in front of what was hopefully going to be my future. The glossy sign on the building read, ' Foster and Associates Attorney At Law'. I held my breath and opened the heavy glass door.

There was a dark headed, dark skinned, pretty young lady, which I assumed to be the receptionist sitting behind a large glass desk. When she looked up from her nails to me, she let out a horrified gasp.

" May I help you?" She asked snootily, eyes racking my soaked clothing and hair .

" I'm here for the internship job. I have an interview at two." I said, gazing at the elevator doors. She let out a small laugh, which I met with a glare.

" That's really sweet and all honey, but I think they're expecting someone a little more... Oh I don't know, professional for the job." She finished in her haughty New Jersey tone. She turned her attention back to her perfectly manicured nails, completely ignoring me. By now I was fuming, for several reasons.

My airplane had just landed an hour ago from Georgia to New Jersey, somehow the airport in Atlanta had managed to lose my luggage, so that left me stranded without any clothes to change into or my umbrella, which brought me to where I currently am. Waiting for an interview for an internship, that I was praying to get.

I slammed my hand down loudly on the glass desk, demanding her to pay attention. She looked at me wide eyed and startled. " Excuse me." I said putting emphasis on the 'Excuse' part. " But I have had, what could possibly be described as the worst day of my life today! I'm cold, I'm wet, and the airport has somehow lost my luggage. I am two seconds away from dragging you from behind that counter and beating the he..."

" Becca?" I heard a confused, very familiar deep voice asked causing me to stop mid-cuss word. I closed my eyes for a brief moment, this cannot be happening. I groaned internally, opening my eyes to stare into the familiar cold, crystal blue ones. I hadn't seen him since Annie and Alex's wedding, at which he'd made it a point to ignore me.

" Lu... Luke, what are you doing here?" I asked stuttering, damn what was wrong with me? I was usually witty and charming, that all seemed to disappear when Luke was around. I ran a hand through my sopping wet hair, and gave him a shaky, embarrassed smile. He gave me an amused grin, before looking at the snotty receptionist. He gave her a dazzling, sexy smile, that of course made me just a little jealous. Okay it made me really jealous, ever since high school I'd had a crush on Luke.

It just so happened he is my best friend Annie Miller's older brother,and on the weekends I'd spent the night with Annie throughout most of high school, he had been there of course. I remember drooling over a picture that Annie had taken of a very smiling me, and a very uncomfortable Luke for most of my teen life.

I had matured from that now, but had never really gotten over him. Unlike Annie, who was pure and holy, well for the most part. I was outrageously out there, I don't even really know if there was a word to describe me, so for now I was just me.

He ignored my question as if I'd never asked it, and pretty much repeated my question using my name instead of his." Becca, what are you doing here?" His smldering gaze was relentless.

" That's what I asked." The snooty receptionist said, just loud enough for me to hear. I gritted my teeth, and gave Luke a tight smile before replying.

" I'm, uh here for the internship job." I said, frowning down at my drenched clothes. When I looked back, he was frowning at my clothes also. I gave him a puzzled glare, " I just asked you the same question, I thought your practice was back in Georgia?" His frown deepened, and he gave an agreavated sigh.