Chapter 57 "Skyman"

*Alex's P.O.V*

It was nice getting away with Lexi for a while. The last time we went on a vacation just the two of us was our honeymoon. After all the drama that's been going on with Nat and after my dad passed away, I knew a getaway was all Lexi and I needed. Our flight from New York to New Jersey was only a few hours, so we weren't in any hurry to leave the house or get to the airport. Before we took off and once we landed, I made sure to call my mom just to check in on the twins. Everything was fine. Angie was drawing pictures and Andy was playing with play dough. 

"Thanks again for watching the kids," I told my mom on the phone. "Lexi and I really appreciate it."

"Aw sweetie, it's no trouble at all!" She said. "This is what I needed after all that's happened with your father passing away. I feel like I haven't seen my grandchildren in forever!"

I nodded and let out a chuckle. "You see them every week, mom!"

"Yeah, but still!" She laughs a little. "Anyway, you two have a great time. I'll call later before the twins go to bed."

"Alright," I said. "Bye mom, I love you."

"I love you too, Alex," My mom says before hanging up.

Once I hung up, Lexi had ordered us an Uber to take us to our hotel. As soon as we checked in and gotten everything settled, Lexi had wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed my cheek. 

I turned to her and grinned. "Hi..,"

She smiled back and put her fingers through my curls. "Hi..,"

"Well we're in Jersey," I said. "What do you want to do?"

Lexi shrugged. "I've never been here before,"

"We could see if there's a mall nearby," I suggested.

Lexi raised an eyebrow. "You want to go to the mall? That's it?"

"Or there could be a beach, I don't know!" I chuckled.

"We should've gone to Disney World!" Lexi joked. "I'm kidding. Let's go to the beach. I haven't been in a long time."

I smiled and gave her a kiss. 

Once Lexi and I got ready to go to the beach, I had a rental car for us because it was better than going in a taxi or Uber. And we also had quite a shit load of stuff. Towels, snacks, champagne, and sunscreen. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but being the wonderful husband I am, I had to carry everything!

Lexi found the perfect spot for us and I put our towels down in the sand. "Man, this is so nice."

Lexi nodded. "A perfect getaway without the kids," She said. "Is it bad that I miss them?"

"Not at all," I told her. "I miss them too, but they're alright. They're hanging out with my mom and having a blast."

"No offense or anything, but we could've had my mom watch them," She said.

I nodded. "Is it because of my mom smoking?" I asked. "Is that why you don't want her watching them?"

Lexi shrugged. "I don't know," She said. "I mean, your mom just lost her husband. She's grieving. And also my mom hasn't seen the twins since Christmas."

"When we get home to New York, we can fly her out here for a few days," I said. "It's no biggie."

She smiles a little. "You would really do that?"