Chapter 15 "Tenderly"

*Lexi's P.O.V.*

I'm freaking out right now! Not only was I bleeding and possibly having a miscarriage, but my husband Alex just passed out! Oh, what should I do? I'm already in tears! 

"KENZIE! NAT!" I yelled.

They both soon saw me in the bathroom. 

"Oh my god!" Kenzie said. "Nat, call 911!"

Nat quickly pulled out his phone and called paramedics. When they had arrived at the house, Alex was fully awake again, and then they rushed me to the hospital. Alex and I were crying the entire time. I don't want to lose our baby! When we arrived at the emergency room, Dr. Nick Jonas and his nurses were trying to stop me from bleeding everywhere. After over an hour, they were able to control the bleeding, and sent me into another room to do an ultrasound.

"Is the baby okay?" I asked.

Dr. Jonas sighed, and shook his head. "I'm afraid, I cannot find a heartbeat."

"N-No heartbeat?" Alex asked.

"No heartbeat," he said. "I'm very sorry. It really upsets me to say this to you two, and every other family that have had a miscarriage, too."

Alex shook his head. "We've tried everything! Fertility treatments, home pregnancy tests, and we had sex so many times!"

"Alex, calm down!" I said, then I turned to Nick. "Do you have any other treatments we could try?"

"Well, there is one other thing that might work," he said. "You could find a surrogate mother to carry the child for you."

Alex and I looked at each other.

"You know, Kenzie might make the perfect surrogate," I said. "She even told me that if we can't have children of our own, she's all in for it."

"But Lexi, think about it!" Alex said. "Nat and Kenzie already have their hands full with the triplets. Do you really think that's a good idea? And plus, what if Nat and I have to go on tour or something, and she gets put on bed rest or something like that?"

I sighed. "Well, I'd rather have her carry our baby than some stranger."

Alex put his hand on my leg and looked at me. "I suppose we can give it a shot."

I smiled. "Okay."

*About two hours later, Alex and Lexi went back home.*

"Hey guys," I said. 

Kenzie walked up to me and hugged me. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I said. "But unfortunately, our baby died."

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" she said. "If there's anything that Nat or I can do to help, we'll do it."

"Well, Alex and I have talked about maybe getting a surrogate," I said. "I don't really want a stranger to carry my baby. But since you're my best friend and all,-"

"I'll do it!" she said.

"What?!" Nat asked.

Kenzie turned to Nat. "Nat, Lexi and I have been best friends for sixteen years! I would do anything for her. And if she can't have kids on her own, I want to be that person to do it for her! I mean, how hard can it be?"

"Well, when you were pregnant with the triplets, you were moody, your feet swelled up, you would wake me up in the middle of the night to get you food, and well, pretty much everything!" he said. "And you'll have Alex's sperm inside of you."