Chapter 49 "An Old Flame"

*Nat's P.O.V.*

As I began driving back over to Cara's house, there was a complete dead silence. Ava was just chilling in the backseat of the car watching some Disney movie. The minivan we were in had a portable DVD player in it which was pretty cool. Before the triplets were born, I figured that Kenzie and I might as well get one because we both knew that when you're traveling a long way away from home, kids get bored easily. Nowadays, you always have to remember to bring something electronic to entertain your child. Man, when I was a kid I didn't have anything like that to keep me occupied. Instead, I had my Power Rangers action figures to play with, while making "cool" explosion noises.

Yeah I don't know. I was a strange kid.

Anyway, while I was focusing onto the oncoming traffic, I just couldn't help but think about all the crazy shit that has been going on. Kenzie and I got pregnant, then miscarried, then shit went down with my father's psycho caretaker, Vicki. And then my best friend John ended up in the hospital, and my anger got out of control when I saw Ansel. And then I found out that he kidnapped Cara's daughter Ava, which I didn't even KNOW that she even had a child. But if Ansel isn't Ava's father, who is?

And for a brief second, I wasn't looking at the road. Thankfully, Kenzie put her hand in front of my chest and shrieks out my name. 

"NATHANIEL!" She says. "Pay attention to the road!" 

I shook my head and jolted a bit. "Oh my god, I'm sorry!" I said. "I-I just got distracted in my own thoughts for a second. You have every right to be angry!"

"I'm not angry with you Nathaniel," Kenzie said. "I just didn't want to get in a car accident today. Or die."

I nodded. "Are you okay, Ava?"

"I'm fine," Ava said. 

"What are you watching back there?" I asked her.

"Moana!" Ava said. "Have you seen it?"

"I'm afraid not," I told her. "I'm not much of a fan of Disney movies."

"It's because you were on Nickelodeon, right?" She asked.

"How did you know?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Alex told me," She said. "Your brother is really nice. In fact, everyone at your house is really nice! The triplets are very sweet. You raised them well."

"Thank you!" I chuckled. "Kenzie and I try our best."

"My mommy used to tell me stories about you and her when you guys did Paper Towns together," Ava said. 

"W-What stories?" I asked.

Ava shrugged. "She would always tell me how much fun you two had while filming the movie," She said. "She told me that making out with you was her favorite part of doing the movie."

I glanced over at Kenzie. She didn't even pay attention to Ava and I's conversation. And I'll admit it, it was always awkward bringing up me kissing other girls in movies. In fact, it was even more awkward doing it since Kenzie and I are married. I haven't done a movie since before the triplets were born. And now that I'm about to go shoot a movie for the first time in over three years in a couple of months, I'm a little bit worried about leaving my wife and kids behind. Kenzie can't take care of the kids by herself. Even with Lexi and Alex by her side, they still have the twins to take care of themselves. It'll just be too much. And I would ask my parents to help out, but Kenzie and I don't feel comfortable leaving the kids there when Vicki is there helping my father. There's something that Kenzie doesn't know. Since I don't want her or the triplets to be left at home while I'm gone, I'm planning on letting them stay with me while I'm working on the movie. I've already found the perfect rental home for us. Two bedrooms, three bathrooms, three stories high, a beautiful backyard with fencing all around it, a hot tub, which is also connected to a swimming pool. And it was indoors, too.