23

Lucy's POV

After a few minutes of me waiting in the hallway, Porlyusica walks out. "I've cleaned everything. He'll be fine. He just needs rest. Give him a week and he should be back to normal, that is if he stays in bed." I nod, taking in the information. "Thanks again, Miss Porlyusica. I really owe you." I bow, trying to show respect. I hear her scoff. "Stop being so modest..." I freeze at her boldness before getting back up. "Besides.. it's my job. Don't act so surprised." My mouth drops. I was just trying to be nice? "Now hurry up, he's waiting for you." I nod, "Yes ma'am." and rush into the room, trying to avoid her cold stare.

When I get into the room, I see Natsu lying on the bed. He seems fast asleep, but really he was just waiting for me with his eyes closed. "You don't have to pretend to be asleep, I can tell your up." Natsu's eyes pop open. "Dang it, I thought I could fool you." He pouts. I laugh at his childish behavior. He begins to laugh with me.

After we settle down. I grab a chair and sit next to his bed. "Hey, Natsu?" I get his attention.

"Yea?"

"H-how did... How did you.." I stutter, not knowing the right way to ask. Natsu chuckles at this. "You mean how did I survive?" I nod cartoonishly, not wanting to bring up the subject; but letting my curiosity get the better of me.

Natsu closes his eyes, as if he's deep in thought. He takes a deep breath before he starts talking. "Well..."

~Flashback~

Natsu's POV

I felt my heavy eyes slowly open, the light slightly blinding me at first. When my vision cleared, I saw a blue sky with light fluffy clouds.

I've always been so busy, I never really got to admire the small things in life. Like the sky, the lakes, the greenery, the sunsets and sunrises, all of that. It was truly a beauty.

'Is this heaven? Is this hell? Am I revisiting different parts of my life?  Am I seeing all the things I missed while I was alive?' I didn't know what was going on, or where I was. I was confused.

It felt like I was staring at the sky for hours before I heard something, a voice. "So your awake. Took you long enough." I knew that voice. I've heard it several times before. But where?

Then it hit me.

It was Zeref.

"Z-Zeref..."  I rasp. I find a feeling in my right hand and try to move it towards where I hear the sound. Suddenly, a sharp pain shot up my arm. It caused me to let out a cry of pain. I normally could hold it in, but my energy was completely drained.

"Take it easy little brother. Don't want you getting even more injured than you already are." Zeref  mocked. I ignored his jab at me.

"W-where am... I? Wh-what..."

"Don't waste your breath. I get what your saying."  He interrupted me. He sighed before beginning. "Well, I was in the area visiting Mavis when Sabertooth's  master gave me a call. Sting, was it?" Zeref   pauses for a minute before letting it go. "Anyways, he said something about you heading to the Heartfillia mansion and needing backup. I was confused, but ended up stopping here. When I did, the place was in flames. I thought that everyone had already left, so I decided to leave. Well, that was until I saw something pink slowly moving in one of the windows.." Zeref pauses again. He must be looking at me. "I..... It... It's...."

"It's Salmon, I know. You never forget to remind me." Zeref noted before he went on. "Your lucky. I got you and I out of there right before the whole building explode, which was all of 7 hours ago. It's almost sunset now. We haven't left our spot near the gate." Zeref finishes. I open my mouth to say something when I feel Zeref's cold palm come into contact with it. "Don't. You need to save your energy." I listened and suddenly everything went black.

End of Flashback

Lucy's POV

"When I came to again, sure enough, it was night. I was a bit more mobile though, and Zeref helped carry me to Mavis' house. When we got there, she wasn't happy to see my current state. Zeref and I were just going to let me walk back here myself, but she insisted I stay with her until I felt a bit better. I did and left just last night. Then, I walked here." Natsu finishes.

"Wow." I say. I didn't really have any words. "I guess we really owe Zeref then." I say, breaking the small silence. "Yeah, I guess we do."

We sit in silence for awhile. I didn't want to say much so that Natsu could get his rest, but I also just wanted to hear his voice and be reassured.

"Natsu, can you promise me something?"

"What is it?"

I look down, a bit shy about my bold request. "Promise me that you won't leave me.. or that you wont scare me like that again..." I try to hold back my tears by clutching my skirt.

Natsu closes his eyes. "I can't promise you that, Luce..." I clutch the edges of my skirt tighter. "I know its stupid, but all these scares you've given me lately, they've been too much..." I chuckle at my neediness. "Heh, me in pain. I can't even imagine what you've been going through. Maybe I am selfish after all..." I supposed. "Lucy...." Natsu says my name in a pained tone.

"I didn't say it was stupid. I can understand where you we're coming from, especially with the pain. Loosing someone you love is hard, don't underrate yourself." Natsu addressed. "I'm just reckless. I don't know how'll the future will turn out, or if I'll survive..." Natsu looks at me and grins. "... but I'll try for you, okay?" I blush. "O-okay." I let go of my skirt, patting it down nicely.

"I'm sorry. I know these things, I'm just... really needy..."

"Your independent most of the time, so I don't mind helping you out by giving you a small boost every now and then." Natsu confessed. I smiled at him. "What did I do to deserve you?"

"I should be asking you that."