Chapter 39~ Thunderstorm Talks

Beads of water were dripping off of Annalise's nose, chin, and hair. My arms were around her waist, and I think that they were starting to go numb... my eyes danced over her features and stopped on every little detail just so that I could commit everything to memory. "You're beautiful," I whispered out with a somewhat breathless tone. I loved her; I loved her so impossibly much and just thinking about it kind of hurt.

One of my hands raised out of the water to push her hair behind her ear. We were so close to each other; if there weren't consequences to the action, I would've kissed her. However, I couldn't do that because the consequences were ever present. "Stop it," she giggled at my words while her hand smacked against my chest lightly. She could tell me to stop as much as she wanted to, but it wouldn't make the words any less true.

"Annalise, I lo-," my words were cut off when the door to the pool room opened up and two girls in sailor costumes stumbled into the room. They were giggling until they say us, and I mumbled out the rest of my sentence, "-st feeling in my legs." The two girl's eyes widened at us, and I looked back at Annalise to see her looking a bit frustrated.

"We're sorry for interrupting," one of the girls said after clearing her throat.

"It's okay, we were about to get out," Annalise assured them while she tugged on my hands and pulled me towards the stairs at the shallow end of the pool. I was following behind her with my practically useless legs, and they only started to get a little bit of feeling back when we were out of the pool. I stumbled after her clumsily, and grabbed a few towels from a nearby rack that was filled with them. After handing one to her, I grabbed one for myself and started to wipe the water off of myself.

Annalise dropped her towel once she was done drying off, and I must confess that I let my eyes focus on her for longer than I should have. A giggle from the two sailor girls is what made me look away from her, and I quickly grabbed my leather jacket and my shoes. Annalise pulled on her dress and shoes before we made our way out of the room and down the hallway. It was obvious that we wouldn't be going back to the party; my costume was thoroughly soaked, and even though I had tried to dry off there was still water dripping off of me. So, she guided me towards the elevator, and she pressed the button for our floor.

"So, what'd Liam give you for your birthday?" I wondered while we stood in there regarding each other with goofy smiles due to our earlier actions. However, her smile fell when she heard the words. My eyebrows raised at her sudden reaction, and I was hoping that I was wrong about the conclusion that I had drawn. "Don't tell me he forgot," I started in disbelief. The sad smile that she gave me after I said the words only reaffirmed them, and I let out a disappointed huff.

"It's no big deal, Louis," she tried to defend him.

"No big deal? It's your birthday," I pointed out. Liam had only told me about it a few days ago and I found it pretty rich that he had forgotten in that amount of time. I was starting to wonder about where his priorities lied lately. He should be giving all of his attention to Annalise; she deserved it all, but instead he was focusing on things that he probably shouldn't be. Yeah, I knew that the band was really important, but he didn't need to be spending all of his time on it.

"Really, Louis, it's fine," she shrugged, "I've got you and that's enough, okay?" Despite the fact that I wanted to be angry at Liam for so easily forgetting about an important day, I couldn't really focus on that when I heard her words. Something about them just brought a smile to my face; it was refreshing to know that she enjoyed having me there with her.

When we reached our room, Annalise got changed into some dry clothes in the bathroom while I did the same in the room. Once we were both dry and comfortable, she stood by the TV while she browsed through the channels and waited for the popcorn that she had put in the microwave to be done. My palms grew slick while I thought about what I had to ask Annalise. A day was coming up soon; a day that I remembered very well and was downright excited for. "I know that you go out with Liam for dinner, but do you think," I took in a deep breath and tried to force the nervous edge out of my voice. This was nerve racking; I didn't want to make the fact that this would be more than just a dinner for me too obvious. "That we could maybe go down to the diner on November 11th and have dinner."