Chapter 21~ Cowell Lost His Scowl

''Mr. Cowell, thanks for coming,'' Liam beamed happily at the man who only gave him his famous scowl for a moment. It was literally priceless to see his face, exactly how it was that day I had auditioned. I couldn't wait to see it get wiped from his face when we sung for him.

''You said you wanted to talk to me about setting up another band,'' Simon grunted out. He sat where Liam motioned and then looked at us all.

''Yes,'' Liam nodded, ''we were hoping that you'd be willing to take us on as a project and maybe get us a contract.'' The rest of the boys sat nervously in front of him, but I just sat with a grin on my lips.

''That takes a lot of work, Liam, and I don't even know if your little band here is complete rubbish. No offense, but Redemption was a load of crap,'' Simon sighed and leaned back into the couch as he looked us over. ''And who is this?'' he added while he pointed to me.

''I'm Louis,'' I told him and a slight bit of recognition seemed to spread across his features.

''You look familiar, were you a contestant at one point?'' he wondered.

''Yes, I didn't make it through because I was sick and I botched my performance,'' I explained and his mouth formed an 'o' as he remembered me.

''Was a shame, really, probably would have gone through if you hadn't been sick,'' he shoo his head before sizing us up again, ''what are you doing with this bunch?''

''I was the one who convinced them to try this out,'' I confessed, ''and we'd like to show you that we're not rubbish.''

''Show me? Like singing?'' he pondered the idea for a moment after we nodded our answer. ''I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see...'' My smile widened and the boys and I shared matching looks before we launched into singing Torn. I watched Simon's placid features the entire time and when we got to the end it changed. We had performed almost exactly as we had at the Judge's House, and yet the reaction from Simon was different. His lips curved up when we had finished and I was surprised to see his pearly white teethe peeking out. ''Well, that was something else...'' he trailed off sounding almost in awe.

''What do you say?'' Harry wondered anxiously.

Simon quickly replaced the growing smile with another one of his tight lipped looks, ''I say that I would be an idiot if I didn't at least try to get you boys somewhere.'' The boys jumped in excitement that was sort of uncharacteristic of a normal guy of their age, but we never were normal. Harry looked to me and pulled me up so that I was jumping with them and I couldn't help but feel like the gesture meant a bit more than it was. It felt like I was being excepted into their inner group. I was being excepted into something I had missed out on before but was finally here for.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

''Hey, Louis, how'd the talk with Simon go?'' Annalise greeted me when I walked through the hotel room door. I scooped her up into a hug and swung her around before putting her back on the ground and smiling widely at her small giggles. ''I take that as a sign that it went well,'' she assumed.

''It went better than well; it went fantastic!'' I exclaimed excitedly before taking her face in my hands and kissing her forehead loudly. She erupted in another burst of giggles while I pranced around the room happily.

''Not much of a surprise; you always get what you want... Where's Liam?'' she wondered through her giggles. I was too happy to even bother with getting irritated by her asking.

''He went to go have dinner with Simon so that they could talk it over,'' I told her and she nodded, ''but forget that, I want to celebrate!''

''Louis, no drinking,'' she warned and I pouted at her playfully.