58

Ava

"I think it's time we get you out of here," Luke said, gently feeling around my neck, which had been swollen for a few days, "would that be good?"

"No more sleepy,"

"You've not had that for a few days love, and having your own bed will be nice anyway,"

"What's the day?"

"Thursday, it's the morning so grandma will take you home,"

"It's been like, a week,"

"It has, but you're almost better," he said, "Michael is coming over later,"

"It's my birthday soon," I said, a small chuckle coming from him as he helped me out of bed. I stumbled and he caught me, grandma takin my weight too.

"And when is that?"

"When dad is off work,"

"That will be nice, I'm sure I'll pop over,"

Grandma helped me change into leggings and a jumper, while Luke signed all the papers. Everyone was treating me like a delicate object.

"You need to tell dad if you start to feel poorly again,"

"I still feel poorly,"

"I know, but you're well enough to send home and it will make you feel better,"

"I want my dad,"

He shushed me, holding me close to his body. I felt tears building up and sniffed, relaxing into his hold.

"Let's call down to their office, and if they pick up we can go down,"

"Thankyou for looking after me,"

"It's okay sweetheart, I'm just glad you're feeling a bit better,"

He picked up the phone and put in the number, rubbing my back as we waited. I heard it ringing, then I heard dad's voice, and I was so relieved.

"Can your little one come down quickly?"

"I'm not little,"

He chuckled and ruffled my hair, putting the phone down. Luke was a lot like an uncle to me, always joking and protecting me. The others did too, but Luke felt a lot like family to me now- it was a nice feeling.

"Let's go down, then you need to go home,"

"I'll be out at the car, it's parked by the front," grandma said. Luke took my hand and we went to dad's exam room, him and Calum sat down.

I hugged him straight away, closing my eyes. He smelt strongly of the office, so must've worked a lot already, and it only made the ache in my mouth grow.

"Dad, please come home,"

"You'll be okay,"

"Come home,"

"I've got to work, only until half four. Tomorrow, Cal and I will fix your tooth okay?"

"Come home tonight,"

"Of course I will, we need to go shopping though,"

"I don't want you at work," I trembled, "I don't want you away,"

I still felt really ill, and I knew I was being clingy, but dad made me feel safe. He had saved me after all.

There were times where I distanced myself from him, and wanted him to go away, and it was so stupid. He'd put everything he could into adopting me, and was patient when I was going through a tough time.