38

Ashton

I woke up to a scream.

A pretty terrific one too.

I rushed through to Ava's room, seeing her clutching the covers to her body. Her eyes glistened in the light that peeked through the gap in her curtains, and they were locked on me.

"No one else is here," I said quietly, "no one else,"

"It happened again,"

"It's a memory now. Not a very nice one, but it's in the past. Remember- I don't want anything from you,"

"They're in the corner," she screamed, "they're watching me dad,"

I flicked the lamp on and crouched beside her bed, letting her clasp my hands. Her palms were sweating, and her bottom lip was trembling as it stuck out.

"Dad?"

"I'm right here,"

"Please sleep in my bed,"

"Are you sure?"

"Please," she choked out, "you might scare them away,"

"No one is here to scare away," I assured, climbing under her cover and letting her rest on my chest.

"Please don't let go,"

I shushed her, putting my arms firmly around her. For a while, we laid there, still.

"Dad?"

"What sweetheart?"

"What's it like to have so many people like you?"

"You tell me,"

She shrugged and tightened her grip as I moved, letting out a whimper.

"You need to go to sleep," I mumbled, "and so do I,"

"Is the door locked?"

"Yes,"

"Are any windows open?"

"Mine is propped open, but we are really far off the ground,"

"I'm sorry,"

"It's okay," I shushed, "just take some deep breaths,"

"I'm tired,"

"Lets go to sleep then,"

"I don't want to,"

"They can't get to you poppet, I promise,"

She rolled off me and into the corner of the bed, reaching for my hand and placing it on her stomach.

"You can talk to Lucy tomorrow,"

"Can we go to sleep?"

I kissed her cheek and closed my eyes, feeling her relax, before going to sleep myself.

"Dad,"

I hummed and opened my eyes, squinting as she opened the curtains.

"You need to wake up,"

"What time is it?"

"8,"

"Okay, I'm sorry," I mumbled, climbing out of bed. She shrugged and left, fully dressed and ready for school. I chuckled slightly, getting dressed myself.

I made myself a bowl of cereal, trying to eat it as quick as possible.

"What are you doing today?"

"The same as usual,"

"Has anyone else ever had as many problems as me?"

"I have had to sedate people before," I nodded, "I don't shame patients,"