44

Ashton

For a while, Viola and I watched a film. We sat under the covers, her body eventually leaning into mine.

From afar, it probably looked rushed, and honestly, it did feel a bit rushed. I had to remind myself it was a comforting hug, not a proper hug.

She probably didn't think of me like that.

"Ashton, my mum said she wants to pick me up on the way home, what's your address?" Owen said, standing by the sofa.

"I can drop you off later if you'd like?"

"We have family coming over,"

"Alright, I'll type it in,"

He gave me his phone and I sent the address, thanking him for coming. It had been nice to see Ava with a smile on her face.

Viola sighed and shifted, making me let go of her immediately. Instead, she sat up a little more, and took my arm from round her so that she could lean on me.

"Dad, I think- oh,"

"What's up?"

"I think everyone wants to go home," she said sadly.

"We don't want to go," Amber said, her and Sapphire bursting into the room, "but mum is making me,"

"You can all come back another time,"

"What if Ava came to ours?" Owen asked.

"We'd have to see, it all depends how she's feeling,"

Amber pulled Ava in for a hug, and they all joined, a smile on my face as I took a photo.

"Go and talk to them until their parents come," I encouraged, watching them all leave.

"She's adorable," Viola cooed, smiling to herself, "when I went round to my friends, we used to hide from her mum as if she didn't know we were in the house,"

"Never did that, always wanted to get away from Luke,"

She laughed, a beautiful laugh, but one filled with conflict.

One by one, Ava's friends got picked up, and she sat the other side of me.

"Why did they want to get away from me?"

"They didn't want to get away from you," I assured.

"They all left," she said, starting to cry. Viola's face softened and she reached across me, taking her hand.

"I'm going to have to leave Ashton in a minute, but that doesn't mean I don't like him. They have homework to do, family to see, and had to go home to sleep anyway,"

I watched how she spoke, and how Ava listened and nodded. She was so gentle and understanding, despite everything going on.

"You two probably had a boring day though,"

"Oi," I chuckled.

"I do need to go," Viola sighed, standing up and giving Ava a hug. I chucked a bunch of covers on her to make her laugh, and followed Viola to the front door.

"Thankyou for today," she smiled, "Sorry I put it all on you,"

"I don't mind," I assured, "and I know I see you at work but, well, I'd really like to see you again,"

"Me too, maybe less emotional," she shrugged.

"It's good to show emotion, you're only human,"

"Dad," Ava called, on the verge of tears.