43

Ashton

The three girls were in the back of the car, and Owen was sat in the front. He was just listening to them talk about boybands, which Ava hadn't really been exposed to.

She listened to my music, which was probably nothing like that.

"So how do you find school?" I asked him.

"It's okay, I'm not very good at the academic things,"

"That's not really the important things, even though people say it is. As long as you pass maths and English,"

"You must've been good at science though,"

"Not physics," I chuckled, "I hated physics,"

"Ava said you worked at the special needs clinic,"

"I do, sometime's we have patients who are just scared too, we want it to be flexible for everyone,"

"You're really formal,"

"I am?" I laughed, "I don't mean to be, sorry,"

"I guess it's just different to my parents,"

We arrived at the flat and they all went ahead, waiting for me to unlock the door.

"When is Viola coming?" Ava asked.

"Soon, but you're there to play with your friends,"

"We aren't playing," Sapphire insisted, "we're too old,"

"Yeah, I can see a wrinkle already," Amber teased. Ava looked a little taken back.

"You can join in," I said quietly, "I won't tell you off for joking."

She nodded and followed them to the lift, all of us squishing together. I admired her respect, but wished she'd just have some fun with her friends.

When we got up to the flat, she led them to her room, coming back out with her arms folded.

"Dad, what do I need to do?"

"Ava, just have a nice time with your friends. Ask them if they'd like a drink and I'll get them it,"

She nodded and hugged me, Amber swinging round the doorframe. It surprised me that she was friends with Ava, because she was so much louder.

"Oh sorry, please can I get a glass of water?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

"What does everyone want to drink?" Ava said.

"Do you have any juice?" Owen asked.

"Orange?"

"Yes please," Sapphire said, Owen nodding.

I got them all drinks, grabbing the pizza from the freezer. I wasn't sure what to get, so I got a pepperoni one- that you could take the meat off to make a cheese one-, a vegetarian one, and one that was lactose and gluten free.

When I took their drinks through, I took their shoes to the front door and poked my head back round.

"I promise I will leave you alone, but is anyone vegetarian, lactose intolerant or gluten intolerant?"

"You are really formal," Amber laughed, Ava giggling a bit.

"Well I don't want to make someone end up on the toilet for hours,"

"No, but I don't mind that food," Sapphire said.

"Okay, I'll just put all the pizzas in. You'll all be okay, right?"