23

Ava

"Ava, please can you get ready for bed?" Ashton called, making me jump.

Since I was already in my pyjamas, I just went through to the bathroom and grabbed my toothbrush. I brushed my teeth, wishing they'd be straight, and white. Even using mouthwash and flossing didn't make a difference.

It made me really insecure.

Everything about me did, and it was all thanks to them.

Thanks to Ashton, my face had some colour in again, and my stomach didn't rumble. Although I struggled through the day, I did have more energy.

"Ava, are you okay?" he asked, knocking on the door.

"I guess,"

"What's wrong?"

"I'm okay," I said, opening the door, "just thinking,"

"Anything you want to talk about?"

"Will my teeth ever be straight?"

"We actually need to talk about that, because you need braces eventually,"

"My teeth are ugly though. Why aren't they white?"

"They're getting better, don't worry. If you get braces, we could perhaps whiten them afterwards,"

I nodded and hugged him, holding him tightly.

"Thankyou, for making me feel better,"

"That's okay," he chuckled, "I'm glad I'm helping,"

"I'm tired,"

"Go to bed then, ay?

I left the bathroom, climbing onto the bed.

After he said goodnight, I chose not to read a book, and go to sleep instead.

However, the more I thought about school, the more I struggled to sleep.

Busy halls. Loud talking. Strangers.

And Ashton was making me go.

"Ava, sweetheart, it's time to wake up,"

I shook my head and buried it in my pillow, feeling the first twist in my stomach.

"Come on poppet, I promise it won't be as bad as you think,"

"Ashton, please don't make me go,"

"I've done everything I can Ava. I've tried so hard to make this comfortable,"

"I'm an embarrassment,"

"You're not sweetheart, you're not to anyone. All we are asking is that you go into that small class with a couple of people in, keep your head down and do the work. If you want to talk then talk, if you want to eat or listen to music for a break then do that. Harry said his friend Charlie is sometimes in there, and he will see you are break,"

"What do I even wear?" I snapped, dragging myself up. Even though it wasn't his fault, I was so angry at Ashton.

This place was my nightmare.

"Wear something comfy, you're going to be at grandma's by lunch,"

"When will you be home?"

"A bit late today,"

"Good,"

"Ava," he said firmly, "this is not my fault. If you don't go to school, I wouldn't have custody over you and I'd be fined a lot. I can't afford to pay for online school, but I will keep applying okay? You have to think before you snap,"