54

Ashton

"Dad," Ava croaked, waking up from her sleep. The medicine was turned off about an hour ago, but she was still dozy.

There was a row of stitches on her head, and it hurt me, because she wouldn't want to go out. It would knock her self confidence down, and upset her so much after we had only just started to build it all up.

I didn't understand what happened, really. Why had she suddenly started to panic, and try to leave the room? Was it a nightmare, or a feeling, or... had she been listening the entire time?

If it was overwhelming for me, then it must've been overwhelming for her.

"Did you have a nice sleep princess?"

"I dreamt about us making a giant cake,"

"You did?" I chuckled, "that's nice,"

"My head hurts," she mumbled, pulling a face as she sat up a bit.

"I'm not surprised sweetheart, stay sat down or laid down,"

"Is it nighttime?"

"It was nighttime when we left,"

"So why are you not sleeping?"

"Well, it's quite worrying to see my daughter in hospital, Ava, and I know it's not your fault,"

"Please go to sleep,"

"I have a question,"

"But you said no more questions," she giggled, although, a tear ran down her face.

"Did that hurt?"

"A lot,"

"Well, let's not make too many jokes then,"

She closed her eyes and sighed, reaching for my hand. I rubbed small circles on it, moving the baby hair from her face.

"It calms me down when you do that," she said quietly, "thankyou,"

"You don't have to thank me,"

"I'm tired,"

"Let's go to sleep then, I will too,"

She moved so I could climb onto the bed, resting in my chest as I laid down.

"Am I going to be okay?"

"You'll be okay soon, go to sleep ay?"

"Okay, goodnight,"

"Goodnight,"

**

"Rise and shine,"

"Luke?"

"That's right," he said, Ava humming.

"I need to work," I groaned, putting my head in my pillow. Ava grasped onto my arm, while Luke tried to take her hand.

"No," Ava said instantly, "no, please don't, please don't,"

"Ashton, not the usual state I see you in,"