24

Ashton

It was a rare occasion that we got our lunch break at lunch, but Cal and I were able to eat in the staff room with Michael.

"How was she this morning?"

"It was a nightmare," I sighed, "mum has got her now,"

"I feel so bad for her,"

"She was properly panicking,"

"Are you doing okay?" Michael asked, squeezing my shoulder, "you know you can ask us to come round if you're too tired to cook, or clean- you do a lot for us,"

"That would be great," I mumbled.

"Tomorrow, while you take her to Lucy, we will come over and clean. You'll come back to food for all of us and a tidy apartment,"

"Thankyou so much,"

"It's the least we can do,"

I finished my salad and water, filling the bottle back up and leaning on Calum's shoulder.

"I don't know when I'm gonna make it to the gym,"

"Text me when you find time, you're not in any rush. You already look tired and like you're losing it a little,"

"I am tired,"

"Again, if one of us needs to keep Ava entertained while you sleep or go to your mums, or come round to our house, we will,"

I nodded and smiled, thanking Michael before heading back into our exam room.

"It's Sam next, he's in the wheelchair,"

"Oh yeah, we'll move the chairs and fit it there, before moving him across,"

"I'm gonna try with the hand scaler today,"

"I think you should, from what we heard last time, it's hard for them,"

I went into the waiting room while Cal set up, greeting his parents. Sam couldn't get out of the wheelchair easily, so for a checkup we helped him out of it. His body was rigid, and he was non verbal.

"Hello Sam, it's Ashton. We are going to check your teeth today,"

His mum smiled and took the wheelchair, following me through to the room. Calum moved the arm on the chair while moved the arm on the wheelchair, gently folding Sam's arm across his chest. Calum took hold from behind, and I took his legs, both of us lifting him onto the chair.

"Good job Sam," I praised, hearing his anxiety. Cal replaced the arm and we started to lower the chair, helping him get comfortable.

"How have you been getting on?"

"It's still hard to brush his teeth, and because he struggles to swallow the food is in there longer,"

"Yeah, well hopefully there are no problems," I nodded, "you know my mirror, don't you Sam?"

He took a moment to respond, but I knew him well enough to know he meant yes. I cupped his chin with one of my hands and used my thumb to help open his mouth.

"I'm going to count your teeth,"

His arm kept moving, small grunts occasionally coming from him. After treating him for so long, I knew he was just trying to tell me he was okay.

"Well done, that was really good Sam," I said, keeping his head still, "I'm going to use a toothbrush now because it can be a bit tricky,"

"Is it looking okay?" his dad asked.