1

Ashton

It was quite possibly my favourite day of the year.

Once a year, Cal and I worked with the local orphanage to give them all treatment. With the doctors office joint to ours, and a lot of staff, we were able to do it in less than a day.

It was expensive, so we did it for free, because the kids deserved to be happy and healthy after everything they'd been through.

Our clinic mainly worked with people who were scared, had learning difficulties or had disabilities, because it was a stressful time and we wanted to help. Generally, I worked with younger kids, but there wasn't an age limit.

We'd seen almost all of our patients, cleaning up the room for our last one, when Georgia came through. She ran the orphanage, and since I'd recently handed in my final adoption paperwork to be approved, I had to be on good terms.

"You guys have no idea how much you help," she laughed, "Can I talk to you both a minute?"

"Sure,"

"Well, Ava is new to our place, she's been here about a month. She got placed into a home- by another orphanage- who abused her, and has done some horrible stuff to her. I know you're gentle, but she'll probably have damage, and she's freaking out a lot,"

"That's awful," Calum frowned, "if she wants a blanket or something to hold we can get her that,"

"Yeah, tell her I'll be gentle, and not to worry,"

"Thankyou, so much,"

I bit my lip as she left, getting out my tools and covering them as best as I could. I was tired, which didn't impact my job, but my reactions were slower if she lashed out .

"How much damage do you think she'll have?" Calum asked, loading up and new file and adding the information.

"Who knows, but she's got to be in pain,"

The door clicked open and I turned round, lowering the chair enough so it ready.

A small girl followed Georgia , her eyes filled with tears as she stepped into the room. Her knuckles were white, and she choked out another sob when she saw me.

"Hey sweetheart,"

"I'm Ashton," I smiled, "and that's Calum,"

She pressed her head into Georgia's side and shook her head, starting to get in a state.

"Calm down poppet, I don't want to hurt you,"

"You could,"

"All my patients have walked out with a smile and a sticker today, even a toy if they're super brave. I know a toy might not be your first choice anymore but our teddy bears are cute,"

Calum got one and placed it on the chair, along with a blanket.

"We've got to do x-rays first,"

"I-I don't want y-you to touch m-me,"

"It's just a machine to take a photo of your teeth. It tells us why they're hurting,"

Reluctantly, she followed us to another room where we could take the x-rays. Since no tools were used, it just needed a little encouragement. That wasn't to say she wasn't scared, but her crying died down a little.

However, getting her on the chair was another problem.

"I'm only gonna use my mirror and explorer to look round your mouth. Georgia will stay here too,"

"No," she bawled, "please no, please don't,"

"Ava, Ashton helps all the kids. He helps people everyday, and I know it hurts you to eat, so why don't you let him see so he can fix it,"