8

Ashton

"Baking, movies, sleeping- we can do whatever," I smiled, handing her a bottle of water as she calmed down.

She had her knees tucked into her chest, and head held low.

"I don't know,"

"If you're uncomfortable, I'll take you back to Georgia. Maybe you weren't ready, and that's okay because I'll wait,"

"I'm just nervous,"

"You have every right to be. I don't know if there's anything I can do to assure you, or make you feel safer, but if you think of something, I will do it,"

"It's just the staying over tonight, after...,"

"Yeah, it's okay, I get where you're coming from," I soothed, gently brushing the hair from her face, "we can have the doors open, and the front door locked so no one can get in- but I'll show you where the key is if that makes it better. If you want the hallway light on, or a lamp- I don't mind,

She nodded and took my hand again, squeezing it as she put her head on her knees.

"Come on, lets do something fun, it might make you feel more at ease. I just want you to know, I wouldn't be allowed to work with all the kids I do, or even be allowed to have you round this house if I was dangerous,"

"But they thought the others were safe,"

"I know sweetheart, but this is a new area, and a new orphanage. Georgia has known me for a very long time, and look," I said, pulling out a drawer, "so many of my patients have made me thank you cards,"

She smiled slightly, looking at the handmade cards from people I'd treated; drawings of hearts, me, the things they enjoy, all scattered across them.

"Look Ava, I don't know what happened to you, and I don't know how that felt, and I could never understand why... but I do know what I want you to be able to express how you feel, and I do know that I want you to be safe,"

"I do feel safe, more safe than over there, but I'm still nervous with Georgia. It's not you, it's just everything,"

I nodded and sat on one of the island chairs, watching her fail to get up and blush. I helped her up.

She cracked her knuckles, picking at the skin round her nails and biting her lip. It wouldn't surprise me if her knee was bouncing.

And it broke my heart.

"What do you bake?"

"Cakes, cookies, bread if you really want," I chuckled.

"Will you help?"

"Of course, do you want to visit my mum's house tomorrow? She's cooking a roast dinner and we could make extra for them,"

"Your brother, sister and mum are there?"

"Yeah, my brother might get a bit excited but I can get him to shut up and leave you alone,"

"Why would he be excited?"

"Well me and my sister are a closer age, and you're only a bit younger than him, so he'll want to talk to you,"

"I'll try,"

"That's amazing," I encouraged, "I think we should make brownies,"

"I don't know how,"

"Me neither, but I have a book somewhere,"

I stood up and found the recipe book, finding the page with brownies on and starting to collect the ingredients. She managed to find the bowls and spoons, bringing it all over to me.