26

Ashton

The next morning, I woke up to breakfast again.

Ava had made us both toast, a glass of orange juice and emptied the cupboards of all things you could spread on toast.

She sat at the table, her legs swinging as she waited.

"Thankyou sweetheart," I smiled, "did you not sleep well?"

"Not really,"

"You could've woken me up,"

"You were really tired, and you've got to work a full day again,"

"I can work on very little sleep, don't worry about me. What work do you think you'll choose today?"

"Maybe I'll try some maths but I'm not very good,"

"That's why we want you in school, and I can guarantee that even if you went into normal lessons, your class would be small,"

"I'm glad Charlie is in there,"

"You're gonna be fine today, and try not to nap at my mum's,"

We both got ready, Ava loading the dishwasher with last night's pots too. I showed her how to work it, and loaded the washing machine .

Once I was done, she was already stood at the door with her shoes on. This morning, I couldn't tell how she was feeling, and it worried me because I couldn't help. I didn't know what to do.

Honestly, I felt like I was winging this whole thing. Every single day.

"Ashton, please can you take me in and help me get my stuff out?"

"I can today,"

She watched out of the window, past groups of girls, sinking back into her seat a little. It seemed like a lot of thoughts flashed through her head, and she looked down. Presumably, she longed for a group like that.

I knew she would have it one day.

When we arrived at school, I took her in to the office and signed her in, before heading to the classroom. It was a nice little place, with colourful displays on dealing with stress, some of the students work, a large window and desks round the edge of the room by computers. They had all the stationary they could need, beanbags in the corner, and there were toilets opposite the classroom for them.

Bringing Ava here made me comfortable.

"Good morning Ava," someone said, shaking my hand, "I'm Mr Carter,"

"Can I have a quick word?"

"Of course. Why don't you unpack your bag?" he told her.

She nodded and walked into the room.

"Ava isn't really getting on with Miss Smith, and I know you have a lot on your hands but if she's not comfortable, then I'm not comfortable,"

"Do you know why?"

"I'm not sure. I think she was trying to push Ava out of her boundaries, but Ava knows when that's too far. She doesn't want sympathy, she is trying so hard to learn and get better,"

"That's absolutely fine, I'm not about to shout if she doesn't do work, I will always be sensitive round these students because they're here for a reason, but if I sit down with her we could do the work together. I heard she wants to go to normal classes?"

"Drama and cooking, although I think drama is enough, but I'm not happy with the deal that was set. Ava could come in like this tomorrow, or be so anxious I can't get her out the door,"