42

Ashton

After my shift, I headed over to pick Ava up from therapy. I tried my get to do it every time because it could be hard, and getting picked up by someone else wasn't always the same. Luke had come with me this time.

I sent Ava to the car so I could talk to Lucy. I'd been debating a lot, and did some research which proved that with a written letter, we could apply for a support dog.

"Lucy, can I have a word?"

"Of course,"

"How is Ava doing?"

"It's slow, but good progress. Is it showing at home?"

"Yeah, but she gets stressed and anxious a lot. I try to spend a lot of time with her but she likes her time alone, which I appreciate, but I'm worried that she's just hiding things,"

"I'm sure she tells you the amount she wants to, which I know isn't what you want, but you can't push her too much yet. Did you have any ideas?"

"Well, I was thinking about a support dog? Or something,"

She nodded and beckoned me into her office, going onto her computer.

"I think that's a brilliant idea, we work with an organisation," she said, going to their website, "I can send everything through,"

"I'll pay whatever,"

"Insurance can cover quite a lot of it," she nodded, "and I can be pretty convincing. You and her will need to go to training before you get the dog, but I think it would be a good idea,"

"I was just thinking because they could calm her down, she could take them on walks and get outside, and be responsible when feeding them,"

"Ashton," she interrupted, "it's a great idea. I'll forward everything to you,"

"Thankyou,"

I left and headed to the car, opening the door.

"And then Amber fell over and we were all laughing," Ava said happily, Luke looking at me with an amused look on his face as I got in the car

"So they said they could all come round?"

"Yes, and Sapphire is bringing sweets,"

"You're gonna have four hyper kids in your house," Luke laughed, "good luck,"

"We won't be hyper,"

"You will be, you don't have sugar," I told her, Luke sticking his tongue out at her.

While they talked, I listened, and thought. I was beyond relieved that Lucy had agreed with me, because it would make me feel a lot more secure. You couldn't talk to a dog, but their presence could change your entire mood.

"Dad, could you please leave the car?" she said as I parked at Luke's place.

I nodded and stepped out, knowing he was telling him. I wasn't upset that she asked me to leave either, because they had their own relationship, and she was telling him in her own way.

When he stepped out the car and smiled, I knew it had gone well.

"Give her an extra hug for me at home,"

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah," he said, moving as she got out to climb in the front, "I heard you're seeing Viola this weekend,"

"They love each other," Ava said, giggling and leaning into Luke.

"Let's not butt into your dad's relationship," he warned, kissing her head, "go home and cook some nice tea,"