(My Brothers Bestfriend) Looks Can Be Deceiving 3

Start from the beginning

“You know how corn is really ugly looking but actually tastes nice?”

We all nod.

“Yeah, well I think that Coach Carn is an ass on the outside, but on the inside I bet he has some mighty fine tasting abs!”

We all laugh again. I guess our coach isn’t that old. But he’s still not young enough to fantasize anything beyond that much. I think he’s around, thirty two.

Lunch passes by in a blur, and I don’t tell Sav or Bre about Ella coming over. Not because I don’t want them to know, but more so that I didn’t think it was relevant.

I wait beside the old willow tree for only a minute or so before Ella is behind me with her car.

She motions for me to drive, and I do just that, ridin’ home singing solo. Do you get it? Okay, that sounded better before I put it all together.

I see both mom and dad’s cars in the drive way and grin when I smell cookie dough. Oh, praise the lord!

I walk through the house with El in toe.

“Holla if you’re anywhere near, homie m and d!”

I yell out and I instantly hear my dad holla back from the kitchen. It comes out all muffled and my eyes become slits of suspicion.

“You know dad,”

I grab a cookie from the plate beside my mom, giving her a kiss on the cheek as I do.

“It’s rude to eat without me.”

He chuckles before giving my cheek a kiss.

“Sorry homie a, you know how much I love your mom’s cooking.”

He then proceeds to take my mom’s lips into a wrestling match. Ew.

“That’s gross.” I point out. “Especially when I have a friend over.”

I turn around and toss Ella a chocolate chip cookie. She grins before eating it.

“Oh, our bad.”

Mom pulls away from dad and he pouts. Ella and I laugh.

After introducing El to my parents and vice versa, we head upstairs to my room.

I love this room. It use to be my mom’s when she lived here with my grandpa and his wife.

I’ve never spoken to his wife. I guess she’d be my real grandma. But apparently she was a bad nut, like Veronica from Willy Wonka. But I like who my grandpa is with now, anyway. She’s a pretty awesome old duck.

I sprawl out on my bed and motion for Ella to do the same. Extracting all of our health books, we start brain storming ideas.

“Okay, let’s swap and see what we both came up with.”

I don’t have too many, maybe three. None of them aren’t too good. But Ella has one that tickles my fancies.

“‘Twenty four months, that’s the law, wait until they’re old enough, you’ll enjoy it more.’”

I read aloud and nod my head.

“Yeah, that’s definitely the one.”

After decorating a big poster sheet I’d taken from the art room after lunch – without permission, what a rebel – and writing our rhyme out nice and fancy, we pack up and Ella tells me she has to go home to be back in time for dinner.

“You know, I sing.”

I randomly tell her and her eyes widen a little.

“Really?”