Being in a home like this made me upset.

Katie had her own bedroom, and Ashton loved her. She got fed all her meals, she got hugs, and help with homework.

I only got that when I managed to stay here long enough, and I didn't want to burden Ashton anymore.

I grabbed a towel and went in the shower, hoping it stifled the sobs of pain and misery. Everything hurt, and I longed for this life.

I got out the shower and huddled in a towel, changing into a pair of leggings and a hoodie from Katie's drawer. Her hairbrush laid on her dressing table, so I brushed my hair and put it in a ponytail.

"Lane, are you alright?" Ashton called, starting to climb the stairs.

"Yeah,"

"We've got some pizza in the kitchen, grab as much as you want,"

I went back downstairs a took out a plate, getting two slices of cheese pizza and sitting at their island. Since they were watching their show, I didn't want to bother them.

"Come and sit with us," Michael said, coming for more pizza, "it's warmer,"

"It's okay, I should go anyway,"

"Ash, she's not coming through,"

It intimidated me, having three strangers I didn't know, tell me what to do. Ashton walked in, picking up my plate.

"I don't want you going home tonight,"

"Why?"

"Well, you need to tell us really,"

I sat down on the sofa, grimacing as the pain got worse. Luke looked at me again, biting his lip.

"Katie is good at keeping secrets, but not this good," Ashton said, "why didn't you tell us?"

"Tell you what?" I asked quietly.

"Sweetheart, you can say. You're safe here,"

"There's nothing to say!"

"Hey, hey," Calum calmed, "we're doctors, we know when something it wrong. Please talk to us,"

"I don't know you,"

"You know Ashton though," Luke pointed out.

"When have we ever hurt you?" Ashton mumbled, leaning back and pulling me to his chest. The first sob came out, followed by a waterfall.

"Sorry I ruined your evening,"

"You've not ruined it," Michael assured, "perhaps you could let us take a look at where they hurt you?"

"Why?"

"To see if you need the hospital or not,"

"Don't tell them you know,"

"You're safe here. Stay here in the spare room and borrow Katie's clothes while we figure things out, then the police and court will get any belongings,"

"Please be careful,"

"We will be," Calum said, crouching infront of me. Ashton also moved and I laid on my back.

Hesitantly, I lifted the hoodie to reveal an array of bruises across my stomach.

"Oh sweetheart," Luke said, making me panic.

"You're okay, another day we will just do a scan to make sure nothing dangerous has happened," Ashton soothed, wiping my tears.

"Is your hip hurting?" Calum asked, gently pulling down the leggings. I jumped and grabbed Michael's arm, who held my hand instead.

"It's okay,"

"I don't feel comfortable,"

"Alright," Ashton said, holding his arm out so the other here stepped back, "is there anything else?"

"My back,"

"Could you stand up and face away then let us have a look? Please?"

"Why?"

"It could be infected or needing ice, I'm not trying to shame you, I promise,"

"I know, it's just terrifying,"

He pulled me in for a hug, rocking us side to side and holding me to his chest.

"Luke is gonna have a look okay?" he said, slightly lifting up the jumper until I nodded, lifting it up more but holding it so that I was covered.

"What did they do that with poppet? Do you know?"

"I'm not sure, I think, I think it changes,"

"I'm not letting you go back there Lane," Ashton said firmly, still holding me to his chest, "you're staying here,"

"But they'll get mad,"

"I'm not letting you go back, I'm not letting you get hurt. You're always here anyway, I can cook a little more food,"

"Thankyou so much,"

"You're welcome love, you should probably get some rest now,"

"I'm scared,"

"Stay down here with us for a bit then, but nothing is gonna happen when you're here, that's a promise I can keep,"