Crime Prime

(Mafia au)

Crime. One of the many things that exist in this world, as well as one of the many things that surrounded Hawks throughout his life. The city in which he lived had something on the news almost everyday in some part of it. Hawks had done his absolute best to keep himself out of the crimes that happened, and to keep himself from getting into any trouble with anyone. The main people who ran such crimes was the infamous mafia of the area. Hawks never seen anyone within the group, but he's heard plenty of their leader, and he wouldn't want anything to do with it.
Trying to keep a somewhat peaceful life in the city he couldn't get away from, he opened a small coffee shop near the center of the city at the age of eighteen, and at age twenty-two, his shop had gotten pretty popular, and everything seemed to finally be going along okay with no worries.
It was just another morning for Hawks, waking up and getting ready to leave his house to head to the shop to open it for the people, well, until Hawks had spotted the little boy across the street chasing after a ball he had seemed to drop. The problem? A car was also making it's way down, and didn't seem like it planned on stopping. The boy was already in the middle of the street, picking up the ball without even noticing what lay ahead of him. Without much thinking Hawks was quick to react, running into the street to grab the boy by the back of his shirt and yanking him out of the way behind him. Just as the boy was yanked, the car sped past them, barely missing Hawks himself.
"Watch where the hell you're driving!"
Hawks shouted at the car as it passed before he turned to the kid behind him, huffing out a small breath before leaning down to pick up the kid and hold him out in front of him.
"And you little man, what were you thinking? Going across the street without an adult? Where are your parents?"
The boy looked up at him, surprised at the new stranger holding him.
"I-i...got a little lost..and I...I didn't..."
He stampered, looking nervous.
Hawks tilted his head a little but shook it soon after.
"It's alright, hey, why don't we go to my shop and you can use the phone there to call your parents eh? Im sure they're worried about you."
The little boy hesitated before nodding his head, holding the ball close to his chest.
"Whats your name kid?"
Hawks then questioned, beginning his walk to the shop.
"S-shoto.."
The boy answered, not looking up at Hawks.
"Shoto? Thats a really cool name. Mine is Hawks, well, its not actually Hawks, its just what everyone calls me."
He chuckled, fixing Shoto's position to carry him more easily.
Shoto then looked up at him curiously.
"W-why do they call you Hawks?"
"Well..."
Hawks trailed off for a few seconds.
"They call me that because of the tattoo I had on my back. Its two red wings, they symbolize freedom for me."
He explained.
Shoto took a small glance to Hawks's back, even if the tattoo wasnt showing from his shirt.
"Freedom? Why freedom?"
He then asked.
"Well, in a city like this, its hard to feel free y'know? Hence the wings, cause with wings you can fly away anytime you want and anywhere you want."
Hawks hummed, crossing the street to get to the corner near his shop.
"Oh.."
Shoto mumbled, resting his chin on Hawks's shoulder as they soon reached the shop, Hawks opening the door and stepping inside, flipping the closed sign to say open.
He then walked over to the counter, setting Shoto ontop of it so that he could pick up the phone beside the register.
"Alright kiddo, do you know your parents' phone numbers?"
Hawks questioned, handing the phone to Shoto. Shoto nodded his head and began dialing a number into the phone before waiting for the call to be accepted. After a few seconds, someone had picked up because Shoto began speaking to whoever it was on the other line, telling them where he was. It took a few extra minutes before Shoto had said his goodbyes and put the phone back down.
"My dad says he'll be coming soon to get me.."
Shoto said, looking up to Hawks. Hawks nodded his head in response and thought for a moment.
"Well, while we wait for him, how about you help me with the customers?"
He suggested. Shoto perked up with a small smile as he nodded.
"Okay!"
Thus was the start of a small friendship between the two. As customers rolled in, Hawks took the orders and made the drinks while Shoto called out the names once the drinks were done for the people to come get them. This went on for about an hour before a new face had arrived at the shop. Before Hawks or Shoto could even notice, everyone else at the shop had gotten quiet as soon as they saw the new face. Shoto still hadn't even noticed when he scurried up onto the stool from the back to be seen over the counter.
"Mary! Your coffee is done!"
He called out cheerfully before he paused once he saw who it was.
"Dad!"
Once Hawks had heard Shoto, he came out from the back.
"Hey buddy, is it your time to le-.."
Hawks cut himself off as soon as he saw the man at the front of the door. There was no way. After all the stories he had heard, and as hard as he tried..there was the big man himself, well, at least he assumed due to how he matched every description he had been given.
Stuttering for a few seconds, Hawks finally managed to get words out of his mouth.
"H-hello Shoto's dad..I-i hope you don't mind me bringing your son here, it was the safest place I could think of and I was already running a little late so..."
Hawks mentally facepalmed himself as he stared at the man. The man only walked closer to the counter till he was infront of it, towering over Hawks which caused the male to gulp.
"I find it quite alright, especially with what Shoto had told me had happened. I give you my gratitude."
The man grunted, glancing to Shoto who got off the stool to head around the counter and stand next to his father.
"I-its no problem! I didn't want the kid to get hurt after all heh.."
Hawks said, rubbing the back of his neck.
The man huffed in response before glancing around him. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out some money, placing it on the counter.
"For your troubles."
He said simply, taking Shoto's hand in his before turning to the door.
"Till next time."
Next thing Hawks knew, the man and Shoto had left the building, but not before Shoto waved goodbye to Hawks.

~Timeskip to closing time~

The events of earlier had still shaken Hawks up, had he really come that close the the mafia leader himself? Nonetheless did said leader reaply tell him he was grateful for his actions? Hawks tried to shake it off as he locked the door of the shop to head back home for the day. For all he knew he'd never see the leader or Shoto again, after all why would the leader bother with him still? He only did one little thing, surely it wouldn't bring any more attentiom than it already had. Shaking his head Hawks had started his walk home, trying to keep the events off his mind. He took the time to listen to music, letting the notes calm his nerves as he walked. The streets were unusually quiet now, normally at this time of day you could hear people yelling and screaming at one another, or the sound of a siren in the distance. Now, its nothing. Not that it was a bad thing, but it was still uneasy. Hawks didn't pay any mind to it, or even noticed with the music in his ears.
It didn't take him long to arrive at home, but he paused at his door once he noticed a letter stuffed underneath his door. Confused, he opened the door and picked up the letter, opening it. To his surprise the letter said:

Dear Hawks,

Shoto has found quite a liking in you after what you have done today for him, and for me. Do not ask how I have gotten your address, but do think of the good deed you have done. With the kind of businees I run, I find myself indebted to you for saving the life of my son. You will find yourself rewarded someday and will be kept in contact for my son and myself. As such, with the end of this letter, you will find nothing will find its way to harm you, if such does happen, punishment will occure to those who committed it. Farewell for now and until next time
                                      Todoroki, Enji

---------------------------------------------------------
There is a possibility of a part 2, depends on how much you guys like this au, but till next time as Enji says, and I'll see you in the mext chapter