Sleep

[Small note here, this is actually about a little au i've been thinking about and I genuinely hope that you guys enjoy it.]

The little boy jolted up from his bed with a small, sharp gasp, gripping his blankets tighter and closer to him. He saw those things again. Ever since that one accident...he'd be seeing these things that had terrified him to absolutely no end. Creatures that no one believed he saw, things that he had to go through with therapy. Whenever he saw them, walking on the streets or simply waiting outside for some of the children at his school. It wasn't only the children they were waiting for though, they...they seemed to be waiting for him too. As if, they wanted him to come to them, join them, be them. He refused of course and ran out of their way. He had every opportunity to leave whenever he was awake but when the dreams came he couldn't. He couldn't run, well, he could but it would be endless until he would be able to wake up, which only seemed like an eternity before he was able to do so. He felt as though if they got their hands on him..that would be it. There would be no more of him and he would become whatever they wanted him to be. Recently however he had been able to get a good night's sleep, and he never knew why, until now of course when he was jolted awake by the thought of someone...or something, watching him. The dream he had been in was oddly worse than the others, and it just seemed too coincidental that he had woken up before he was touched by them. His fearful eyes scanned the room, his blankets only being pulled up higher as if they were to protect him from whatever he might see. He froze when he did see it though. Bright blue eyes in the darkest corner of his little room. He stared and it stared back. Despite whatever it was in his room and its peircing blue eyes, he felt calmed, safe even. It was only a few minutes of silence longer before the figure seemed to have emerged out of the shadows.
"Go back to sleep.."
Its, well, his voice, since it was deep and almost raspy, there was no way that it would've belonged to a woman. The figure reached out for him, but he was gentle, nothing like those other creatures.
"Go back to sleep, they're gone now.."
As the figure spoke he placed a gentle hand on the little boy's cheek. Oh how the shadows finally felt comfortable to the little boy. He slightly leaned into the touch and already seemed to be lulling into sleep.
"I'll protect you..."
Was all the little boy was able to hear before sleep once more overcame his little body.

[A couple years later]

Time has clearly passed and the little boy was now an adult, 22 years of age. He was free. Even if he could still see those things almost everywhere he went. They didn't bother to try touching him. They left him alone now and he couldn't have been any more grateful for that. The creatures would stare of course, but he only had to send one little glare and they looked away. If he didn't believe himself to be a little niave, he would say that they were afraid of him, and maybe they were. Everytime they had tried to come after him, he ran and was able to escape everytime, they never were able to place a dark hand on him. Of course he had help, he would never forget the blue eyed figure he had learned to be named Enji. Enji. He could basically taste the sweetness of the name on his tongue. The figure ended up staying with him throughout his childhood, hell, he was still with him now. Whenever he went home he'd always be greeted by him. He learned that the figure he had known to be a shadow actually had a human form. Bright red hair, large body. No doubt attractive. Nothing that he would admit to the male just yet. He wanted to be sure that Enji had felt anything towards him. He walked through the door of his home, had he even gone anywhere in the first place or just out to the front porch? That memory was a blank, he had forgotten his purpose of going outside anyway.
"Back already?"
Hearing the voice brought a smile to his face, looking over to the dark part of the room.
"There's no need to be in that form anymore you know. But yes, Im back."
He mused, shutting the door behind him and making sure it was locked. Enji had rolled his eyes, drifting across the floor before he changed forms.
"It's comfortable. They left you alone?"
Enji always did manage to change the topics on him.
"Yes, they left me alone, they always have been since I turned 15."
He answered, slipping the jacket he wore off of his shoulders and hanging it up.
"I know that, i'm just making sure they continue to do just that."
Enji grunted, causing him to snicker lightly, shaking his head a little as he shuffled over to the couch and plopped down.
"I'm sure they will, after all they wouldn't want anymore trouble with me. It only lasts so long before you worry about your decreasing population when it comes to one kid and his guardian."
He said with a light hum, leaning on the palm of his hand as his eyes gazed up to Enji lazilly.
"I suppose you're right. I still want to be prepared however if it ever comes down to them bothering you though."
Enji replied, his brows furrowing a little as he crossed his arms and looked down at him.
"Aren't you just the sweetest? If they ever do decide to start up again, then we will be prepared enough for it, I promise you."
He said with a soft smile as he relaxed into his seat.
"....I guess so.."
Enji trailed off, glancing outside.
"It's my job to worry however, after all...I was specifically sent for you..."